|Chapter 13| Letters

Narrators POV

It was a beautiful clearing in the woods. Rays of sunshine were spilling through the treetops, basking one solitary tree in a heavenly glow. Raindrops were sprinkling on flowers. A curly-haired man approached the tree. When he'd done so, the rain drops had ceased. As the last drop splashed across his face, the man turned and smiled. When he wiped it off, he looked towards the woman, who was dressed in a beautiful wedding dress, a bouquet of flowers in her hands. Then, he woke up from a dream.

If only He had known the true meaning behind this dream.
___________________________________
6 hours after Katerinas letter had been sent out:

  Elijah had been feeling a void within him. Expecting a letter from Katerina; anyone in Italy really. He'd awoken from a restless night; tossing and turning in a pool of his own sweat in his bed. He prepared himself with the help of a servant, and left his suite.

As Elijah was walking down the main flight of stairs, Marcel exited his suite.

"Oh if it isn't my lovestruck brother." Marcel snickered as he closed his suite door and made his way towards the stairs,

"Please don't start. Not today Marcel."

"Whats wrong? Still depressed about your darling princess running away? No doubt, she'd only spent a few hours with you and was ready to dash for the hills-"

"J'en ai marre! Don't you ever get tired of your own bloody voice?" Elijah shouted. He had had enough of Marcels constant annoyance.

Elijah stormed down the stairs and left through the palace doors, slamming them as he left.

"So sensitive." Marcel scoffed as he too left the palace.
__________________________________
Elijah ran over to La Poste; hoping to receive a letter regarding Katerina.

"Good day My lord, expecting any news as of late?" The worker at the front of the building welcomed Elijah as he entered.

"Expecting yes. Do you suppose you can skip through any other mail and look for an Italian stamp? If there were to be one." Elijah queried.

"Hmm let me see.. Italian stamp... ah yes here."

Elijah gratefully accepted the letter from the workers' hands and said his goodbyes; immediately opening the letter as he left the building and sat on a nearby bench. The letter read:

Dear prince Elijah, As you may have known, I'm going to be crowned Queen of Italy in two days. And well, As silly as it may be, I have no date or guest. I was wondering whether you'd like to be my royal..date?
    With care, Katerina Sotile.

Elijah stared blankly at the letter, reading it twice, three times, four times, making sure he wasn't reading it incorrectly.

Katerina had invited him to her coronation. Him.

This sparked a light of happiness inside him.

He stood up from the bench and went back to La Poste. The worker welcomed him once again, as any common civilian should in the presence of royalty, yet Elijah payed him no mind; he was too full with exhilaration to pay attention to anything but the letter in his hands.

He picked up a pen that was conveniently placed near him on the front desk, and scribbled a shaky response on the back of the letter,

It would be my pleasure to accompany you to your coronation Katerina. I may even arrive earlier, as it seems I have nothing keeping me in France for the next upcoming couple of days.
-Elijah

Elijah folded the letter and asked the worker at the desk, who seemed to be watching the prince, if he could fetch him en envelope,

he then placed the letter inside and told the worker to stamp it with the royal stamp. As he scribbled the address, his adrenaline slowly wore off, leaving him bathed in anxiety.

What if she doesn't get this letter fast enough and thinks that I denied her invitation?

What if she thinks that and revokes my invitation and invites someone else?

As he thought of this, the worker took the letter and put it in a special box, sealing it and sending it out on a horse. Elijah watched it leave the post, saw it pass into the forest. Once he could no longer see the horse did he exhale, not realizing he had been holding in a breath.

"Must be one hell of an amazing gal"

Elijah turned and looked at the worker, who was smiling as he organized his desk. He then turned back to face the direction the horse had gone in,

"Yeah. She really is."

___________________________________
The letter had arrived faster than she could say Love.

Katerina had been talking to the townspeople all day. She was doing what her mom said to be, "gaining the hearts of her town" and that doing so is, "the key to a Queens good reign"

She was exhausted. Katerina undressed and got into her sleeping gown, ready to call it a day when she heard a soft knock on her door.

"Kat? The Royal Mail brought a letter for you. It has the French Royal stamp on it." Lucille said from the other side of the door.

Katerinas eyes widened.

She was sure it was a letter from Elijah. She was so sure she couldn't contain the infectious grin that slowly crept over her face. She sprinted towards her door and opened it, saying hello to Lucille, who smiled once she saw Katerinas grin.

"Thank you" was all Katerina could manage to say as she took the letter and closed her door, looking down at the letter and read the name of who it was from.

Elijah

She opened the letter and let out a happy squeal. She ran back to her queen sized bed and read it twice in her mind:

It would be my pleasure to accompany you to your coronation Katerina. I may even arrive earlier, as it seems I have nothing keeping me in France for the next upcoming couple of days.
-Elijah

Katerina smiled and shut her eyes,

Elijah would soon be here. He was coming to Italy. For her. Her coronation. Her.

She folded the letter and placed it under her pillow, smiling as she got under her covers and fell asleep.

That night, she slept better than she had ever slept in weeks. All because of him.
__________________________________
Authors note:

I know this is short but it's alright for the first chapter since I decided to discontinue,

But anyway, I decided to make one more chapter because lately, many people have been adding this book to their libraries, and I thought, why not try to at least finish the book?

And also, this might not follow the same script as before but if im being honest, i forgot what i was originally going to write so it's going to have a few changes here and there.

So, so far this is what i have come up with, lets see how it goes from here. (Do point out any spelling or grammar mistakes)
-stella