Madonna's Vogue

"Gather round, children, gather around," I say to all my children as I sit comfortably in the middle of the couch wrapping myself in my robe "I have told you all how my story as a trans woman began, the people who helped me and how I started this house wanting to pay it forward, to children like you, like me, like us"

They look at one another and smile, I flip my hair from one side to the other "this is a story, not of how Elenor passed away, but of how in life we celebrated her and while doing so, learned a valuable lesson" the excitement in their faces brought joy to my life, I took a sip of my chocolate and cleared my throat

🌈

It was finally June 16, 1990, for the past two days we'd been battling with the ever-growing crowds of hateful people trying to deter our celebration, but as the news broke done of what was happening in South Los Angeles, people from all over the state started to rally in support of our parade. Busses from San Francisco, Palo Alto, San Diego, Santa Monica, Santa Fé, Northridge could be spotted on the highway. Campers took the side of the roads, camping sites were filled, it was overwhelming seeing the two sides of the quarter fighting to have their voices be heard.

As the sun came up at breaking dawn, so did we, my children got up early and made breakfast, my brothers and sister arrived to help with hair and makeup, I was running up and down the house making sure everyone's attire were ready when a sudden knock on the door grabbed all of our attention. I head to the door and look through the fisheye, my eyes couldn't believe it, I opened the door and stared at the tall, dark olive skin man with big brown eyes and black curled hair "Cole, wha" I stuttered "what are you doing here?" He locked eyes with me and smiled "I heard you required a couple of dresses, and well, there is nothing I wouldn't do for Elenor"

It has been five years since we met, almost three since I left without saying goodbye, and still, that man managed to come, without an invitation, or any knowledge with garment bags in hand and a pearly smile on his face. I move out of the entrance so can enter and as Elenor sees him she smiles "Cole, my dearest friend" she makes a pause to let out a tired breath "you made it" he puts the clothes on the dining table "when you called, I knew I had to come" I looked at Angel, he returns the same questioning look, "so, did you bring me what I asked?" he unzipped the bags and showed her the masterpieces he had made.

He turns around to face me "the one by the end of the table is your Marritza" he sounded so dry and serious, everyone stared at me as I opened the bag. It sparkled in different tones of blue that dropped to the long tail the dress had, I didn't know how he knew the description of the dress I was looking for, but somehow he knew, he always knew.

🌈

Dani's eyes glittered "I don't know why, but, he sounds like that one friend who falls in love with you and when you tell them you can only be friends he ghosts you" they all started laughing, I gave him a look "Dani, that is not at all what happened, Cole was a great friend back in the day, and because of it, he deserved better than what I did to him" I take a deep breath "now, can you guys please, do your best and not interrupt me?" They all remain silent "I want to finish the story" Lilibeth nods at me "we won't now continue, I want to know how the parade went" "all alright, but just so you know, this is the end of a chapter, not the story"

🌈

At 9:35 am we all started to head out, dressed up, with our flags in hand and our chins up. Elenor comes out in her radiant yellow dress, like the sun, she too was shining, and together we all walked out of the front door. As I close the door, Cole stands behind me, when I turn around I bump into him "oh, sorry" he looks at me with an emotionless face "nothing to apologize for" and walked away, I rushed after him but he got into another car, Angel calls for me "Marritza, hurry up we're going to arrive late at our own parade" I rolled my eyes at him "coming" and looked back to the car Cole got into.