To Dream a Dream Worth Dreaming

Two weeks after I arrived at Elenor's house, I was finally feeling like my life would not be all bad, I had a roof over my head, a bed to sleep in, and food every single day. Everything she said I would have, except, she never mentioned anything about the rivalry in her home, the competitions she had us do, nor the roles one would have to play to go up in ranks.

By being the new girl I was at the very bottom and I had no idea how to get up those ranks. The only thing I was sure about was, that they too were abusing me. They might not lay hands on me, but I was their maid. I mean, let this story take place thirty years earlier and I might have been the inspiration for Cinderella, from cleaning floors to washing clothes, and don't even get me started on the food.

I was raised in a Latin household, our food had some of the best condiments anyone could ever imagine, especially for some of the white flowers I had to live with. I swear they wouldn't know good food even if it strikes them in the face by the hand of the all mighty himself. Nonetheless, I kept my mouth shut, did my chores, and earned my part every week.

🌈

On July 17, one month after I left my parent's house, Elenor walked in during the day, she was carrying garment bags, all of my siblings rushed out of their bedrooms as she whistled. I stood behind washing the ditches when a silence took over the whole house, wondering why I turned around "Marritza, darling when your mother walks in carrying garment bags you are to drop everything you are doing and come join her" said Elenor with the sweetest of tones.

I stopped doing the dishes and went on to dry my hands on the back of my pants before joining the others. As I stood there, Elenor opened the garments "well my children, I hope you are already" I raised my hand slowly interrupting her "yes Marritza" she asked. I swallowed hard as everyone turned to look at me "what should we be ready for?".

Everyone started laughing at my question, Elenor cleared her throat, and like that, everyone went mad silent. "If you would've let me finish, I would've been able to tell you my darling child" she turned once more to her garments and unzipped one "this month begins a new season of BALLROOM DANCING, and the House of Elenor is going out with everything" every one of my siblings moved ahead to see through the different styles Elenor brought them.

"This year we are for sure going to win the best attire," said Charles. At his words, Elenor slaps her hand on the table "CHILDREN" her voice echoed through the house "Ballroom dancing is not about who wins and who loses, it's about community, pride, and love. So, don't ever mention winning best attire, because this year we are winning BEST HOUSE" the entire floor started clapping, and one by one they all left for their rooms with their garments in hand.

As I stood there, Adriana stops by my side "you better get back to washing those dishes, all of these clothes won't iron themselves" and she continued on her merry way.

🌈

As the week continued to pass my shores in the house kept coming, I didn't truly understand why Elenor would allow such treatment, I trusted her, and now, I was at a crossroad, I could stay here being everyone's maid, or I could go back to the streets, live out of trash and coldness.

She knew exactly what she had done. I had finally felt what sleeping on a warm bed again after days of having one eye open every time the sun would fall felt like and she also knew I wouldn't want to leave it. But now I knew what I needed to do. I needed to survive, rise in the ranks, and become a mother of my own.

🌈

After the realization I had that day, I kept doing my part every day as the weeks passed by turning into months, and just like that six months had gone by.