Never Truly Saved

A few days later, class 1-A was informed of Shoto's death and was invited to attend his funeral.  Midoriya couldn't stoop crying. He was Shoto's best friend and yet he wasn't able to help him. "Why-why didn't he say anything to me?! I could've helped him!" He sobbed. His classmates tried to comfort him through their own sorrow. "How did he die?" A voice spoke up. "Bakugo, you can't just ask that! Midoriya is already hurt enough, he doesn't-" Kirishima was cut off by a trembling voice. "It's ok, Kirishima...S-sensei...h-how did T-Todoroki die...?" Aizawa couldn't look the greenette in the eyes. "He died by suicide."

"If he died by suicide, d-doesn't that mean you were there...? You saw him do it...Why didn't you save him then...? Why did you let him die?!" Izuku screamed at his teacher. "Deku-kun, I'm sure sensei tried his hardest to-" Uraraka was interrupted by a deep voice. "Midoriya is right. When I got there, he was stabbing himself. I could've stopped him before he could pierce his lungs, but I...I couldn't. He was laughing as he stabbed himself. I couldn't stand to hear it. I couldn't move to stop him. I...I failed him as a temporary guardian, a teacher, and a pro hero." Shota bowed to his class. "I'm sorry."

The class was shocked. Izuku stood from his seat and lunged at his teacher. He managed to punch him in the face before he was help back by Bakugo. "Kacchan, let me go! Let me go!" He screamed as he squirmed in the blonde's grip." Calm down, Deku! I know you're hurting, but you need to calm to f*ck down!" Midoriya clawed at Katsuki's arms. "No! He let Todoroki die! He let him die, Kacchan! He stood there and did nothing! He's a villain! He's a f*cking villain!" Izuku was dragged out of the room.

The funeral service commenced a few days later. The entire class had attended, along with All Might, President Mic, Midnight, Ectoplasm, and Aizawa. Many tears were shed. When it came time to close the casket, Aizawa stood before those who attended. "...I was there when I saved Shoto. He was battered and beaten up...I though the moment I got him away from Endeavor that he was free. I knew he'd have some type of trauma after being rescued, I didn't think it would be as bad as it was. He had nightmares about his father. I tried to help him. I told him he wasn't a burden, that he could come to me for help. He never did. I..I didn't try hard enough to help him. I could've gotten him therapy or checked up on him more, but I didn't... and I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I couldn't... that I didn't save him. I rescued Todoroki Shoto, but I never truly saved him. I can only hope that he's doing better now."

The casket was lowered into the ground and buried under dirt. Red and white flowers were planted around the grave. Teary eyed students left cards for their deceased friend before slowly leaving. Izuku glared at Shota, approaching him. "I hope you burn in h*ll with Endeavor." He spat before joining his friends. Aizawa looked at the grave one more time before leaving.

An unknown figure visited the grave that night, leaving a single blue rose. "Rest in peace, little brother." The figure lingered for a few moments before disappearing into the night.