▼ Parenting ▼

》 In recent years some studies have suggested that the pleasures of having children are outweighed by the pains.
The research has found that, on average, parents feel better than non-parents each day and derive more pleasure from caring for their children than from other activities

Fathers, in particular, derive high levels of positive emotions and happiness from their children.

》 The study found links between 'helicopter parenting' and higher levels of depression amongst the students, as well as lower levels of autonomy, relatedness and competence.

Signs of bad parenting:

Little or no discipline

Strict or rigid discipline

Over or under involvement

Shaming

Withdrawing affection and attention

Authoritarian parenting is a parenting style characterized by high demands and low responsiveness.
Parents with an authoritarian style have very high expectations of their children, yet provide very little in the way of feedback and nurturing.

Authoritarian parenting styles generally lead to children who are obedient and proficient, but they rank lower in happiness, social competence, and self-esteem.

Permissive parents, sometimes referred to as indulgent parents, make very few demands of their children. These parents rarely discipline their children because they have relatively low expectations of maturity and self-control.​

》 Children without positive parenting are more at risk for their own relationship troubles, depression, anxiety, and aggression, among other negative outcomes.

Uninvolved parenting styles rank lowest across all life domains. These children tend to lack self-control, have low self-esteem, and are less competent than their peers.

》 Like authoritarian parents, those with an authoritative parenting style establish rules and guidelines that their children are expected to follow. However, this parenting style is much more democratic.
The combination of expectation and support helps children of authoritative parents develop skills such as independence, self-control, and self-regulation.

10 Principals of good/healthy parenting:

Adapt your parenting to fit your child.

Be involved in your child's life.

You cannot be too loving.

Be consistent.

Explain your rules and decisions.

Foster your child's independence.

Establish and set rules.

What you do matters.

Treat your child with respect.

Avoid harsh discipline.

》 Researchers followed 11,000 children from when they were 3-years old to the age of 7 to measure the effects of bedtimes on cognitive function. the earlier these bed times can be implemented, the better for cognitive performance.

Parenting styles are associated with different child outcomes, and the authoritative style is generally linked to positive behaviors such as strong self-esteem and self-competence.

》 However, other important factors including culture, children's temperament, children's perceptions of parental treatment, and social influences also play an important role in children's behavior.

》 A study of 967 US families found that harsh verbal discipline at 13-years-old predicted worse behaviour in the next year.
Around 90% of American parents admit at least one instance of using strict verbal discipline with their children, such as calling names or swearing at them.

》 The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children should watch no more than two hours of TV per day after two years of age, and none before that age.