▼ Insecurities ▼

》  Insecurity, or a tendency to lack confidence or certainty in oneself, may be experienced by most people regarding some aspect of their lives

》  A person with high levels of insecurity may often experience a lack of confidence regarding many aspects of life. It may be difficult for that person to form lasting relationships or attend to daily tasks, due to a self-perception of helplessness or inadequacy.

  There is no one cause of insecurity; many factors can lead to the condition. Insecurity may stem from a traumatic event, crisis such as divorce or bankruptcy, or a loss. It can also result from one's environment, as unpredictability or upset in daily life can cause anxiety and insecurity about ordinary, routine events.

Types of Insecurity:

Social Insecurity/Anxiety:
Another common type of insecurity surrounds the way we are perceived by our peers and the ease with which we interact with them. This insecurity can be a recurring, low-level problem or can blossom into full-blown social anxiety disorder or social phobia.

Relationship Insecurity:
The attachment bond, or a child's first love relationship, formed with the primary caregiver, also plays a large role in the development of insecurities. An insecure attachment may result when the caregiver does not respond to the infant's needs adequately.

Body Image Insecurity:
Many people feel insecure about the way they look and question whether they measure up to an imposed ideal.
People of all body types can experience this type of insecurity

Job Insecurity:
Job insecurity occurs when you are anxious about your continued employment or about the continuation of certain benefits attached to your employment.

  Signs of Insecurity:

Perfectionism

Self-Isolation

Low or Superficial Self-Esteem

Anxious or Avoidant Attachment Styles

(Anxious attachment styles are characterized by emotional dependence (relying on someone else for your emotional well-being), a fear of being alone, and fantasies of perfect relationships that can never be fulfilled. )

Depression or Anxiety

Poor Job Performance

》  Insecurity can be seen with a wide variety of mental health conditions and personality disorders, including:

Narcissism

Schizophrenia

Borderline personality

Paranoid personality

Dependent personality

Depression

Anxiety

Eating disorders and body image issues

  People who have recurring insecurities may also have low self-esteem, experience body image issues, lack direction in life, or feel overlooked by others.

》  Occasional insecurity is a natural part of life. For deeper and more longer-lasting feelings of insecurity, however, professional therapists can help you sort through your emotions and develop strategies for everyday life.

》  In dealing with insecurity, there are a couple of helpful tips to keep in mind:

Social Networks Matter

Broad and meaningful social networks — friendships, relationships with coworkers, and more — help to lessen both insecurity and its negative effects.

Trust Takes Practice

While having an overly trusting behavior creates its own problems, ask yourself if you have any reason to distrust expressions of affection or liking from others.
Practice taking displays of interest at face value, something that can be easier in more casual relationships. You can build up the confidence to accept deeper affection and intimacy.