▲ ISFJ - The Protector ▲

ISFJ is one of the 16 personality types identified on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. ISFJ stands for introverted, sensing, feeling, judging.

This personality type is not rare—it is actually one of the more common types. ISFJs make up about 9% to 14% of the population.

Key ISFJ Characteristics:

Caring

Compassionate

Dependable

Industrious

Kind-hearted

Loyal

Organized

Practical

Protective

Sensitive

Warm

Strengths:

Reliable

Practical

Sensitive

Eye for detail

Weaknesses:

Dislikes abstract concepts

Avoids confrontation

Dislikes change

Neglects own needs

Cognitive Functions:

Dominant: Introverted Sensing

This function leads the introverted sensing types to focus on details and facts.
ISFJs prefer concrete information rather than abstract theories.

They are highly attuned to the immediate environment and firmly grounded in reality.
Because of this tendency to focus on and protect what is familiar, ISFJs are often seen as highly traditional.

When making decisions, ISFJs compare their vivid recall of past experiences in order to predict the outcome of future choices and events.

Auxiliary: Extraverted Feeling

ISFJs place a great emphasis on personal considerations.

Extraverted feelers are focused on developing social harmony and connection.

This is accomplished through behaviors that are viewed as socially appropriate or beneficial, such as being polite, kind, considerate, and helpful.
ISFJs try to fill the wants and needs of other people, sometimes even sacrificing their own desires in order to ensure that other people are happy.

Tertiary: Introverted Thinking:

ISFJs are planners and tend to be very well-organized.

They utilize logic in order to understand how the world works.

As ISFJs take in new information and experiences, look for connections and commonalities in order to find patterns.
Rather than simply trying to understand a small part of something, they want to see how things fit together and how it functions as a whole.

Inferior: Extraverted Intuition:

While ISFJs tend to be focused on the present and on concrete facts, this largely unconscious function can help balance the ISFJ personality by helping the individual focus on possibilities.
Taking in facts and then exploring the "what-ifs" can lead to new insights about problems.

ISFJs You Might Know:

Jimmy Carter

Kate Middleton

Rosa Parks

Mother Teresa

Tiger Woods

Selena Gomez

Pam Beesly (The Office)

Piglet (Winnie The Pooh)

Wendy Darling (Peter Pan)

Popular ISFJ Careers:

Accountant

Administrator

Banker

Bookkeeper

Child care provider

Nurse

Office Manager

Paralegal

Social worker

Teacher