25 | ara

SLOW MOTION

SLOW MOTION.

For a few moments, Stella isn't sure why she feels like everything slows around her.

She isn't sure why Lucien's eyes seem to be widening in horror, or why the ground beneath her feet seems to be unsteady all of a sudden.

She isn't sure why her knees suddenly feel weak, or why her wings burn in agony as they tuck themselves into hiding on their own, or why her vision seems to be blurring as her mind begins to fill with haze.

But then, her eyes flicker down to the hilt of the bejeweled dagger that was sticking out of her flesh-

-And it all makes sense.

She lets out a shaky breath, pressing her lips together to prevent a sound from escaping- as her eyes sting in realization.

"Lucien," she whispers shakily- her voice cracking, "Lucien -what have you done?"

She's vaguely aware of someone screaming her name as she tries to step away from him, but it sounds muffled- like she was underwater, and she can't bring herself to turn around.

She can only tilt her chin upward to look at the angel in front of her, her eyes brimming with tears.

"S-Stella," he says, his voice trembling, the grip on her shoulder falling away, "No, no, no- I- I don't-"

"T-Take it out," her own words sound rushed and panicked, as her hands fumble to reach for the hilt, "G-Get it out of me-"

Her knees feel weak, as she tries to step away from him, but she only stumbles backward- half-expecting to fall, when a pair of strong arms wrap around her, breaking her fall.

"Hey, hey- I got you," a familiar deep voice murmurs, almost soothingly to her, supporting the brunt of her weight, as she continues to push herself away from Lucien, her shaking fingers trying to grip the hilt.

This time, when her eyes meet the gleaming crimson in his, as she continues to back herself into Axel's hold- she knows that he is truly desperate and vulnerable.

He reaches for her again- his face panicked and filled with guilt, genuine this time-

-but a ripple of energy bursts through the room, and a sudden force slams him back into the wall.

And Stella can finally feel the smallest sense of relief at the sight of a familiar figure, despite the burning that seemed to be filling her bones.

Lucien winces, but his eyes widen in recognition and fear when he sees who it is.

"You bastard," Rain snarls, his face contorted in rage- as his fingers wind around his throat tightly, "How dare you lay your filthy hands on my sister-"

She doesn't hear the rest of it.

Maybe it's because it sounds muffled to her ears, or maybe it's because her head seems to spin, but she finally lets herself completely relax into Axel's hold.