27 | musca

"I WOULD LIKE TO RESIGN

"I WOULD LIKE TO RESIGN."

Corban looks up from the documents he was reading, to survey Axel.

When a few seconds of just staring pass, Axel repeats himself.

"I'd like to resign," he says firmly, "I no longer want to be an intelligence agent of any kind."

Corban continues to stare at him.

Several more moments pass, before he sighs, taking his reading glasses off and setting on the table.

"There's no need to resign," he murmurs lowly, gesturing to a chair, "Take a seat."

Axel blinks. "Excuse me?"

Corban shrugs, leaning back in his chair. "You heard me. Take a seat."

Axel frowns, his head jerking back slightly in disbelief, but he complies- slowly sitting down in front of him, waiting expectantly.

After another pause, his boss only tiredly pushes a small file towards him.

"It was discovered," he says, "that several units had members that were secretly wrecking chaos behind their backs."

Axel only stares blankly at the file for a second, before he lifts his head to meet Corban's eyes.

"Many traitors?" he says quietly, his voice hollow.

"Yes," Corban presses his lips together with a tight nod, "Yesterday, they all came forward with confessions."

"I-" Axel clears his throat, as he blinks, "What?"

Corban only gestures to the file in front of him, and Axel reluctantly pulls it to himself- flipping it open.

The file has twenty-nine pages.

One for each unit, one for each traitor.

His eyes pause on the familiar picture of the man who used to work alongside him for years before he grits his teeth and forces himself to carry on looking.

"This..." he breathes out a sigh, after turning the last page, "How did all of them confess on the same day? Isn't that odd?"

Corban looks hesitant to answer the question.

When Axel pointedly raises his eyebrows at him, however, he complies slowly.

"It seems... that the same uh-being was behind it all, so all of them were... told to confess."

Though his insides go rigid at his words, he forces his expression to stay blank, as Corban watches him carefully- almost as if waiting for him to blow up.

Because he knows he isn't mistaken about what was being implied.

He remembered what the other pathetic excuse of an angel had said, moments before he had controlled their bodies.