Chapter 5

Hello again, guys!

I want to apologize for how long this took to came out. I came down with a pretty bad stomach bug a little while ago that left me bedridden for days. I was extremely lethargic, which prevented me from doing school work or working on the story at all.

On top of that, I have quite a few things going on in my life right now that are keeping my attention elsewhere, along with an ever increasing list of mental health issues.

Although I'm still pretty busy, I'm trying to shift back to a more regular uploading schedule.

I'm very sorry that I didn't give any warning for this break. I really appreciate all the support, and I hope you guys aren't too upset!

¡WARNING!

This chapter has gore, but there will be a warning before and after.

________________________________________________________________________________

"I said no! I'll be fine on my own, I can figure it out." I glared at the two people in front of me, trying to make my point. "Look, I'm walking around, and I've treated my own injuries before. Why is this any different!"

"Because this is way worse!" 80 hissed at me.

"Have you even seen it yet? The numbing potion you drank before the fight will wear off soon, and I can guarantee that you'll be incapacitated by the pain!" Walli added.

"Then I'll drink another numbing potion! There is an easy solution to all of this, you just refuse to see it," I snapped, trying to get them off my back.

"No, there isn't," 80 said. I winced at the intensity of his gaze. It reminded me of my parents when I'd done something wrong. My cheeks were already stinging in anticipation of a slap that would never come.

I glanced around the alleyway we had ducked into after leaving the chamber. It was dark and dirty, a musty scent tickling my nostrils. I took a deep breath, trying to ground myself. This wasn't my home, and the people in front of me weren't my parents.

Luckily, 80 didn't notice my momentary disorientation, and he bowled on. "Where are you going to get another numbing potion? Those are supplied by the game makers to make the fights last as long as possible. They don't care about us, so why would they help you?"

"I don't know, but it's just a broken arm! I'm telling you I can deal with it, so please, for once, just trust me!"

I raised my gaze to 80's eyes, silently pleading him to back down. His gaze softened. He knew about my trust issues, the need for someone to just have faith in me. I knew I was manipulating him, but I didn't care. I couldn't rely on others, I had learned that the hard way. And I was going to stick by that policy.

"Please," I whispered, hoping the word would push him over the edge.

"No." My gaze snapped up. I was so sure I had him. He had been about to give in, to let me go. Why did he suddenly-

Oh.

I stared at Walli with wide eyes. Why did I focus my attention on 80? Because he's older. Walli is supposed to be younger, less experienced. It was my instinct to concentrate on the adult. Walli was only a few years older than me. He was 17, the same age as Punz should be.

I should have known Walli would fight back harder. He would see right through my manipulation and my attempts to escape assistance.

"We're not letting you leave alone. Not this time." He pushed on, barely even pausing to take a breath, "You always do this. You make excuses. You say you'll be okay, and we believe you. We put our trust in you, so don't act like we owe you our faith. But this time, you can't deal with it on your own. We're not going to let you. I'm not going to let you."