Chapter 7

Purpled's POV:

"Please, ma'am. I really need this job! I'll do anything to get it, I just really need the money!"

"I'm sorry, child, but I can't let you work here. No one would come, or they would try to avoid your shift all together. I don't mean to be rude... but you don't look put together. Here, Take this." The woman pulled thirty dollars out of her purse and held it out to the boy. "Use this to get yourself a meal and maybe some clean clothes."

The boy just stared up at her with lifeless eyes. "I apologize for wasting your time," he said as he snatched the money from her hand.

I watched from around the corner as the boy turned away. I'd been out on the streets for the last few hours; I was trying to coax a shred of sympathy out of someone, hoping they would give me something, anything, to help Punz and I survive another night. But luck was not on my side.

Although risky, I was making my way toward a small convenience store, the thought of stealing on my mind. I'd suggested trying to nab money and supplies before, but Punz insisted it was wrong. That we shouldn't stoop that low.

But I could see his daily struggle. Every time his help was declined, every day he came home empty handed, he lost another piece of himself. I didn't want to have to steal something; I didn't want to disobey Punz, I didn't want to cross that threshold. But I couldn't bear it. I couldn't stand by for another moment while the last member of my family wrung himself dry, the light in his eyes slowly dying.

So I decided to, at least, check out the store. To make sure that this was an option, should we ever need it. But when I reached the block the store was on, I heard voices. A woman and a boy. They were arguing, and I didn't want to interrupt them, so I waited around the corner for them to leave.

I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but the boy's voice caught my attention. It was familiar, but I was still too far away to identify the speaker. When I finally peaked around the corner, my breath caught in my throat. It was Punz. This must have been the job my older brother was applying to today.

Hope began to flicker in my heart. When he'd left our shack this morning, he'd been so confident. It was obvious he thought he would get this one, and I was happy for him. He'd gone on and on about how the store hadn't seemed to care much about appearances. That he'd seen multiple staff members donating to the homeless and less fortunate.

But when I closed my eyes and strained my ears, trying to hear what was happening, the small flame of hope was snuffed out.

My hands clenched into tight fists at my sides. Punz didn't lie. I'd always been able to tell when Punz was lying. Even when he put on fake smiles for me, I knew he wasn't truly happy. Which was how I knew that he'd honestly thought he had a chance here.

My brother had let himself hope. He'd made the mistake of trying to blow on that small flame, trying to give himself the chance to truly live again. It was a mistake. He'd blown too hard, and the gust of air had put the fire out.

I could see it in his eyes as he stared at the woman.

I could see it in the way his shoulders slumped.

I could see it in the way his feet dragged as he walked away.

I was forced to watch helplessly as my brother died. Not truly, no. He was still caged to this earth, but his wings had been stolen. He was meant to sore in the skies, to live and breathe and love. But this world... this cruel world. It had clipped those wings, leaving only the pain and memories as a reminder.

I could feel it. I could feel the moment it happened. The moment my own wings were ripped from my back, falling uselessly to the ground. I hoped that Punz would recover. I hoped, for his sake, that one day he would possess the freedom to fly again. That his wings would grow back or that he would find someone; a helping hand to bridge the gaps in his feathers that left him flightless.

I hoped for him because I couldn't hope for myself. My wings weren't clipped, they were gone. Carved from my back with the brutal knife of loss and hopelessness. They would never - could never grow back.

I knew it, so I took the plunge. I let myself drift further and further, to the point of no return, as I entered that store. The store that had trampled my brother's last hope. The store that had sealed my fate. I let my hands flit aimlessly along the shelves, yanking down food, water, and anything else we might need. Even things I knew we would never use found their way into my basket.

Punz didn't question where our dinner came from that night. He didn't give the abundance of  supplies a second glance. He just ate in silence, scarfing down his food and then heading to bed.

He didn't care, so neither did I.

I didn't care.

I didn't care.

I didn't care.

I didn't care.

I didn't care.

I repeated the phrase over and over in my head, ingraining it into my mind, until I had convinced myself that it was true.

And so, I didn't care. Even as tears slid down my cheeks, dripping on the dirty floor and wetting my face, I didn't care.

A/N:

Hey guys!

I know this is a little shorter than usual, but, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find a good way to continue the chapter after such a depressing memory.

Don't worry, the chapters will go back to their usual length after this, which is usually between 1,500 words and 2,000 words.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!