Explanation and Sneak Peak

I am aware that I haven't posted anything in awhile. Those who read what I commented on the last chapter know that I just needed a break. I feel bad for leaving you guys hanging, and I knew the people who didn't see the comment would wonder where I was. I've been very busy with school and personal issues recently, but I'm trying to make more time for writing. My SOL's and finals are either happening very soon or have already happened, so I'm going to stay busy for a little while longer. I'll probably post, but it will likely take longer than it did before. Fortunately, this will only continue for a few more weeks until about mid June, when I get out of school. Again, so sorry for not posting!

Here's a sneak-peak of the next chapter; it is kind a transition back to what's going on with Purpled.

Purpled's POV: 

Human beings have five basic senses. No more and no less. We rely on these five senses to survive. If a person lacks even one of their five senses, it can be enough to drive them to the brink of insanity.

I was no exception.

Touch. 

It was the wind on my skin. The bark of a tree pressed into my back. The grass below my fingers. A slap across my face. Cement against my cheek. Tears under my eyes.

Touch is a sense that allows us to come in to contact and feel our environment, to know when something comes into contact with us. It was the first of the five senses that I regained, allowing me to relax into the whisper of blankets above me and the coarse texture of an old couch below me.

Taste.

It was the sugary flavor of ice cream. The warmth of a home-cooked meal. The sting of citrus fruit. The sour aftertaste of food gone bad. The bitterness of bile.

Taste is a sense that allows us to detect the quality of the things we eat. It was the second of the five senses that I regained, allowing me to identify the lingering metallic tang of blood in my mouth.

Smell.

It was the sweetness of a scented candle. The aroma of my mother's perfume. The fragrance of a freshly cut rose. The burning of smoke. The stench of seared flesh.

Smell is a sense that allows us to discern odors from our surroundings. It was the third of the five senses that I regained, allowing me to discern that food was being prepared in close proximity to me.

Sound.

It was the melody of music. The song of a bird. The steady beat of rain. The swish of a knife leaving its sheathe.  The cries of a child alone on the streets. The steady beep of a flat lining heart monitor.

Sound is a sense that allows us to pick up on various vibrations that grant entry to the world of audio. It was the fourth of the five senses that I regained, allowing me to make out two voices tensely conversing to my left.

Sight.

It was the vibrancy of a rainbow. The glistening of snow-coated trees. The brilliancy of a sunset. The last spark of a dying fire. The backs of my parents' retreating forms. A note with the words "I'm sorry" scrawled on it.

Sight is a sense that allows us to observe the world around us in both its most prosperous and darkest moments. It was the fifth and last of the five senses that I regained, allowing me to crack open my eyes and get a peek at the room I was in.