~There Are No Strings On Me~

"Kid?"

"Stay away from me!"

He shifts his weight, unsure of what to say. Ben gazes at you sadly. You were sitting at the edge of the stream, knees hugged up to your chest, face buried in your arms. In your hand, he could see the crumpled letter from your parents.

"I know it must suck-"

"You don't know!" Your reddened, tear-filled eyes meet his. "You wouldn't know what it feels like!"

Ben frowns. He shifts nervously, limbs too long for his awkwardly growing body. His big hand finds your shoulder, giving it a comforting squeeze. When you don't give him a response, he squats down beside you.

"Look, kid," he sighs, "I know it's not ideal, but you still have me. You still have Tai and Voe and Hennix. We're better than your lousy parents."

You lift a hand, wiping at your tears. Ben winces softly at the sight of the fresh bruises encircling your wrist. Not less than fifteen minutes ago, your father had tried to physically drag you from the island. Ben nearly broke his nose before Master Luke finally intervened. Now the evidence of Ben's partial-victory was in the form of the redness adorning his knuckles.

"Why can't I be like you?" You mutter miserably. "Just fight back once in a while."

"You're still young," he lays back in the grass calmly.

"And?"

"And you'll learn to defend yourself. There's only so much Luke is willing to teach you, you know." Ben allows his eyes to sink shut. "It comes with time. We just... learn to let go."

~

The command shuttle dips as it makes its approach to the surface of the planet Lah'mu. As beautiful as it was here, it served as the location of many unpleasant memories. Its atmosphere swirls with thin clouds, giving it the appearance of a gleaming marble of dark green and milky white. The ship rattles as it always does, but this time your nerves are not a product of flight.

"We're making our approach, ma'am." The co-pilot announces as he makes his rare appearance from the cockpit.

You give him a stiff nod; not having the strength to muster anything more. Nervously, your eyes automatically seek out Kylo. He reaches for your hand, allowing you to give his a reassuring squeeze.

"It will be quick," he murmurs, leaning in so that only you could hear. This 'mission' was one that was meant to be kept under wraps. "I'll be here if you need me."

Kylo presses a kiss to your forehead as one last symbol of reassurance. It made you feel a little better knowing that he would be close by. As much as you wanted him to join you, it would be unwise considering how your parents felt about him. They had already labeled him as the man who had 'taken their daughter away.' Neither Kylo not your parents would take very kindly to that.

As the shuttle pushes through the clouds, you take a moment to peer from the port window. Your heart pangs at the sight of your home planet. Beautiful oceans of green grass that came in every hue imaginable. In the wind, the grass moves and creates ripples like towering waves. The dirt and sand on Lah'mu was black, giving it an ethereal, otherworldly feeling. Along the rocky coastline lay small farms to make up for the lack of cities. Honestly, you preferred it this way.

"I've never been here," Kylo admits as he follows your gaze.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" You murmur, heart growing heavy in your chest.