~The General~

Your breath comes out in cold streams against the icy air. Everything around you was dark and dreary, yet pulsing with an untouchable life. There was no ground beneath your feet, no air to breathe, or surfaces to touch. Just an endless black void with an invisible mass keeping you upright.

Wherever you were, it felt empty. Almost indescribably lonely and desolate. An endless plain of darkness and shadows. A strange longing fills your chest; one that begs for you to seek out another human or a source of light. You close your eyes for a moment, internally begging for something or someone to appear.

As though something had heard your silent pleas, a sudden chill sweeps over you, sending shivers down your spine. You manage to turn around, hands extending blindly into the darkness. When your fingertips come into contact with soft fabric, you quickly snatch it back. A quiet, gentle voice reaches your ears. One belonging to a woman.

"Jumpy, aren't you?"

You frown, squinting into the darkness. The voice was unfamiliar but in some strange way, you fully trusted her. As if you already knew her. Without even making proper introductions, your first question is rather upfront. "Am I dead?"

"Almost," she sighs softly. "You're at a point where you can choose."

Choose? That didn't seem physically possible. You knew the Force worked in mysterious ways, but this was outright ridiculous. You had some kind of sneaking suspicion that this was your subconscious forming a sort of flotation device for your own sanity. Giving you hope in the darkest, most wretched of times.

This time, your question is more progressive. "Who are you?"

A pause; as though she herself had to think about it.

Warm light begins to bathe your cheeks as the woman appears to materialize before your eyes. She was one of the most beautiful women you had seen in your life. Straight brows, deep brown eyes, and long locks of dark hair. Her smooth skin was covered by a deep blue dress. Twisted around her fingertips is a necklace of beads tied around a strange pendant. It was as though she could never let the necklace go.

Your eyes widen when you realize that you knew this woman. You had seen murals of her during your time on Naboo. Laid flowers at her burial point when you visited the tomb she had been laid in. She was-

"Padme," she gives you a soft smile.

"I thought you weren't a Force-user. How is this possible?" You utter in disbelief.

Padme tilts her head at you. "I'm not really here and neither are you. This is merely a figment of your imagination. A corner of your mind you created as a safe haven between two points. Life and death. Good and bad. There's always a center."

You bite your lip, uncertain about the situation. "So... I can choose now? To live or die?"

"In a way. Yes. Theoretically, your body will lose the will to live once your subconscious gives in. The game between life and death is a mental game just as much as it is a physical one." Padme explains dreamily, her eyes drifting off almost longingly as though she was recalling a distant memory.

"And Kylo? Is he alive?"

"That is something you must find out for yourself. I can't see who lives or dies. I'm just a part of your mind, after all. Just a... figment of your imagination." Her repeated words are eerie.

"How? We aren't related by blood."

"No," she smiles. "But you do share a bond with my grandson. That was enough for me to plant a part of myself in your mind."