Chapter Three - The Chance of a Lifetime

I approach the car and as I get close, a middle-aged man with streaked grey hair steps out of the driver's seat and greets me.

"Hello, Ms Wright, I am Fraser, your chauffeur for the day. Agent Hartley informed me that you would have questions, so if you just hop in the passenger seat, I will answer your questions as we drive to the camp. It is quite the journey to an undisclosed location so while we are travelling, just let me know if at any point we need to stop for a break." Fraser introduces and explains politely.

"Uh okay, sure, thank you." I smile and he takes my bag from me, placing it in the back seats, while I walk around the car to the passenger side, stepping in.

The inside has plush leather seats, cool air conditioning, and the radio playing softly in the background – only some of what I'd expect from a government agency. Fraser climbs into the driver's seat and pulls away from the curb. There's no turning back now.

"So, what would you like to know?" Fraser asks.

"I'm honestly not sure where to start." I reply, trying to order the thousands of questions buzzing around my head.

Fraser laughs. "That's completely normal and understandable considering you didn't even know you were doing this until this time yesterday."

"Yeah, honestly I'm still not sure I believe it. I never thought I'd leave this town, never mind that I'd leave it via a government car on my way to a top secret bootcamp for potential MI6 special agents."

Fraser raises an eyebrow at my spiel. "It certainly seems overwhelming, although I can see why you'd want to leave, it does seem very bland."

"Oh, it is!" I exclaim a little too eagerly.

Fraser chuckles. "Well seeing as you are still not sure what to ask, I'll give you a quick rundown. MI6 is one of the biggest government agencies in Great Britain and around the world, sending agents on missions everywhere you could think of, and everywhere you can't – most of which are deep undercover. Now, this can be extremely daunting, pretending to be someone you're not, so be sure that you mentally prepare yourself as much as possible for this, don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help, no one expects you to be perfect and the camp instructors are aware of your circumstances.

"When we arrive at the camp I'm taking you to, Agent Hartley will greet you, and you will discuss your contract with the Government, including salary, any clauses, etcetera. After that, you will be placed in your squad. This squad is the team you will work with on most of your missions throughout your career. You will form a bond and will live or die to protect each other. Trust me, this bond is forever..." He trails off looking distant for a moment until he manages to continue, "MI6 is the only agency in the world to use squads in the sense of missions as most agencies will use individual agents and pair or team them up depending on the mission – it means our agents must be more diverse, but it means they work together better as a unit. Next, you will undergo fifteen to eighteen months of intensive training – dependent on what jobs come up – and then when you are ready, you will be sent out on missions with your squad if your squad is seen as fit for purpose, otherwise, you will be sent home."

"Woah." Is all I can think of to say to that.

"Woah indeed." Fraser replies, smiling.

"How big are the squads?" I ask, intrigued to hear more.

"They normally consist of four people, small enough to remain undetected, but large enough to pose a threat," Fraser explains, "Your squad will most likely be comprised of people with different skill sets, and mostly around the same age, although this is not always the case. Sometimes two squads work together, and sometimes you will separately go out and join other agents depending on the requirements of the mission. Sometimes, you will go out alone."