Chapter Fourteen - No Escape

It doesn't take long for the sound of storming footsteps to reach us, the four of us wrapped in our own blanket of silence.

We crouch in wait, the voices of the other squad becoming louder as they hurry closer, having heard the explosion from wherever they had been hiding.

"What if it's a trick?" I hear a voice ask, making my heart pound in my ears – we're so close.

"The aim was to shoot everyone, why would there have been an explosion?" Argues back a different voice.

"It's only the Romeo Squad left; you know what they're like." The first voice reasons.

"So, you'll take the fall if we just stay out hiding and everyone else is being ambushed?" The second voice presses.

"Ugh, fuck- Fine. Have it your way." The first voice gives in. "But if we lose because of you, you're doing all of the cabin chores for the next fortnight."

"Deal." The second voice agrees confidently.

I adjust my position so that my paint gun is down by my side as I peek through the gap between the container and the door that I had left open. I watch as the final squad come into view, then stop in their tracks as they see the vibrant paint splashed everywhere.

"I FUCKING TOLD YOU!" Shouts a short woman, as we all swing into view and pull our triggers, the paint splashing each soldier in the other squad square in the chest before they can even think about running.

"Whiskey Squad, you are eliminated, please place your flag on the ground and return to base. Romeo Squad, collect the flag and return to base." Agent Hartley's voice booms, and I almost jump around with excitement – again.

We come out of our hiding places and face the scowling squad.

The woman pulls the flag out of her vest along with the others they had collected and throws them on the ground, walking towards the base without a backwards glance at the rest of her squad.

The other three trail behind her, muttering between themselves. "I knew that was Hugo's voice." One remarks.

"Well why the fuck did you not say anything?"

"I dunno."

"Oh, you are a fucking—"

They continue to bicker and throw insults at each other as Hugo waltzes over to the flags and picks them ceremoniously from the ground.

"We art victorious mine friends." Hugo puts on a high-class English accent.

Sarah and I laugh, while Marcus snatches the flags from his hands. "Let's go." He scowls, turning on his heel and stalking back to the base.

"Cheery as ever." Hugo smiles before striding after him.

Sarah hooks her arm in mine. "Your first win in our squad, the first of many." She promises.

"I can't wait." I grin.

* * *

We walk into the base; Director Thomas already having pulled Marcus to the side. They seemed to be arguing, Director Thomas seemingly scolding Marcus for something while Marcus stands stoic, the only sign of emotion is the fist that is still holding the flag tightly in its grip, his knuckles turning white.

Agent Hartley wanders over to the rest of us. "Congratulations, that was quite the show you put on out there."

Hugo smiles innocently. "Anything for you, Hartley."

Hartley rolls his eyes and Hugo laughs. Sarah nudges Hugo with her elbow in his ribs for his lack of formality with our authority.

A moment after, Marcus joins us looking tense.