5: Don't Be Suspicious

When Shouta came home to the teacher's dorms that night, he knew something was wrong. The house seemed quiet, too quiet. Hizashi wasn't singing or banging pots and pans around the kitchen. In fact he couldn't see his husband at all. Then he heard running water and made the connection. 

 "Zashi?" He called out as he neatly placed his shoes next to the blonde's haphazardly placed boots "You in the shower?". No initial response but the water shut off. Figuring Hizashi just hadn't heard him, the tired hero made his way to the bathroom and opened the door without a thought. 

Inside was his husband, shower nozzle in hand with a mostly naked teenager in the bathtub next to him. The boy looked up at him with fearful pitch black eyes before looked to Hizashi with tears in his eyes. 

"Hey, calm down. You know Sho, he's not mean. You nap together all the time." The voice hero tried to stop the oncoming melt down to no avail. Shouta made it worse by saying "Who the hell is this kid? Why is he in our apartment?". 

Hizashi sighed, as if Shouta was the one causing trouble. "Sho, this is Shiori or Shi as you know him.". The underground hero blinked. He looked to his husband, then to the sniffling teen, then back to his husband. 

"Like the bird Shi? 1-A's pet bird?" He asked seriously. Hizashi cringed a little. 

"Well, pet is a bit harsh for someone that's quite obviously not just a bird." The blonde said simply, returning to rinsing the filth and mulch out of Shiori's white hair. With one swift motion Hizashi pulled the bathtub's plug and pulled the boy out of the tub. He wrapped a fluffy white towel around the teen and gestured for Shouta to follow him out of the room to let the boy dry off.

"I hope you haven't gone insane and this is some prank." Shouta said, genuinely worried about Hizashi and potentially whoever was in their bathroom. "Sho, it not like he chose his quirk." Hizashi said, matter-of-factly "He just didn't want to tell anyone because he thought we'd throw him out.". 

"His quirk is turning into a human?" "Well, potentially." "What do you mean 'potentially' he's a human boy in our bathroom right now!" Shouta whisper-shouted. "He might have been a human from day one." "How does he not know?" "I think he had a rough childhood and doesn't remember. He says he can't remember anything before 4 and his first memories involve being lost in a forest, so that's pretty unclear.". 

Shouta sighed. "So what now? Do we send him to a bird sanctuary or a group home?". Hizashi's eyes went wide and he glanced at the door to make sure Shiori was still okay and hadn't heard that.

"Sho, he's so afraid of being abandoned we can't do any of that!" Hizashi said seriously. "So we're supposed to just...hide him from U.A?" The underground hero said, at a complete loss for options. 

"Well, he can still hang around the students, just only as a bird. He doesn't want anyone to know he can 'shift' as he calls it. I don't think he much likes the human form.". 

----- ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ 

Luckily Shiori took 1-A's apologies and the new climbing toys they got him without a fuss. Currently he was back on Todoroki's shoulder hopping up and down a little as he tried to get a peak at the math work they were doing.

He was still amazed Aizawa hadn't caught on to it being him who helped Kaminari on the test. Maybe he could continue to help them out or go to U.A on his own. 

Shiori stopped hopping. Why was he thinking that? Sure, he wanted to be a hero, but not anymore. His goal shifted to 'survive' a long time ago. Something at the back of his head was telling him that he was safe and not going to die now, that he could dream again but his survival instincts shoved the voice deep down.  How could he be sure Hizashi wouldn't tell anyone? Everyone would hate him for deceiving them. 

Yeah, there was no way he was becoming a hero. Plus, he missed a lot of schooling and spent that time as a bird. U.A's entrance exam would be impossible. 

Deciding to clear his head a little he fluttered around the classroom. Landing on the windowsill Shiori looked out at the campus. The whole city sprawled out in front of him. The sun was shining brightly and he could hear birds chirping in the background. They really were much more vulgar than humans thought, but they still sounded pretty to him. 

"Shiori?" Aizawa called from the front of the room. Immediately the bird whipped his head around to look at him, only to see the man curse under his breath. 

"Shiori?" Midoriya repeated, confused. 'Oh...' He realized 'I never mentioned my full name to anyone else'. "Isn't it just Shi?" The green haired boy asked, far too curious for his own good. 

"You know how he picked his own name the first time?" Aizawa said, moving on with the conversation flawlessly "Well when I brought Shi home he kept poking the kanji on my laptop. His full name is Shiori.". Shiori himself was relieved as they seemed to accept that. 

As compensation for his quick thinking Shiori flew over to Aizawa and cheeped at him cutely before climbing onto his shoulder. His long hair tickled. 

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- 

"So, how long did you spend as a bird before you shifted in front of me? And how old are you actually?" Hizashi asked softly, trying not to upset Shiori in any way. 

The teen nearly choked on his water regardless. "I'm the same age as your class, do I look that young?" He tried to joke. The couple just nodded seriously. Okay, so maybe it was because he looked like a kid that they were treating him so nicely. "I was a bird for...a year ish?" He thought aloud "That's why I was filthy and my clothes were torn, although they weren't all that great before I shifted a year ago." he muttered the last sentence as an afterthought. 

It was hard for Shouta and Hizashi to understand. Shiori just spent over a year as a bird? They could hardly imagine spending a year as an animal, even if they had the choice to change back. "Can I ask why you spent so long as a bird? Details would be nice if you can manage" Shouta said, giving Shiori a serious look laced with kindness. 

Shiori took a deep, shaky breath. He wanted to tell them, wanted to trust them but it was hard. Then again, if he kept the story to himself for much longer he'd explode. "I ran away and being homeless as a human scared me." He said, almost chocking on the words as he did so. "I was-she was going to-" He tried to collect his thoughts before speaking again "She broke my wing and was going to break the other so I shifted into a human and pushed her off. I ran out of the house and headed towards the road but there wasn't anyone. She got in the car and went after me so I ran to the other side of the road and into the woods." he said, gasping for breath between sentences "I eventually healed enough to fly and went to the closest city to get lost. I spent a year in Masutafu as a bird.". 

"Who is 'she'?" Hizashi asked, looking a little shell shocked at the sudden admission. 

"I don't know if she counts as a kidnapper or my mother.". 

  ----------------------------------------------------------------

Dramatic Music Intensifies 

We've got some revelations to make! 

Stay tuned