9: A Nice Summer Day

Shiori was having a great time. The sun was shining, the breeze was cool and there were dozens of birds singing in the trees. It was his first day off from school unsupervised and he was going to enjoy it though. 

Not as a human though, having to spend all day as a human was boring enough already. He was learning to love his human form and to think of it as himself again but damn did he miss having wings. Maybe he should look into an in-between form like Nezu mentioned. Then he could be human and fly. Unless his wings were the same size as they were in his bird form, then they would be useless. 

But that was beside the point. Right now there were two kids feeding him bread and that was all that mattered. 

"Mika! Birds can't eat bread!" The boy, a brown haired green eyed child, probably around 6, scolded. The white haired, probably same aged girl who had been feeding Shiori pouted. "But he liked it so much!" She whined, dropping another piece of bread. 

Now, Shiori was still 100% bird in this form so he really shouldn't be eating bread. But he could just change into a human before it expanded in his stomach and enjoy the melon bread. The boy grabbed the bread out of his friend's hand and stood up. "You'll make him sick, do you want him to die?" The boy asked. Okay, that was a little extreme. 

To show the girl, who suddenly looked very apologetic, that he was okay, he flew onto her back pack strap and chirped happily. Both the kid's eyes went wide. "I think he likes me Haru!" Mike, Shiori guessed, said excitedly. Haru looked quite surprised and reached out tentatively to pet Shiori. 

The bird quickly obliged and chirped happily. Having a 'wild bird' land on your shoulder and let you pet them is a bragging right for a kid and Shiori was happy to help. Plus they had bread. He wasn't quite sure if he liked it so much because he couldn't have it for the year he spent as a bird or just if he liked the taste but it didn't really matter. 

"Hey kids," A rough voice called behind them "You like birds?". Both kids turned around to face the voice. A suspicious looking woman who was dressed so extremely she basically screamed 'gang member' was standing over them with a smirk. "I have one, a parrot. I have him with me if you wanna come see.". 

This couldn't really be a 'I'll give you candy if you follow me' scheme, could it? The kids seemed interested but Mika piped up before Haru could. "My parents told me not to follow strangers, so no thank you!" She said with a smile, turning her attention back to Shiori. 

"Come on, I'm not a bad person! That's a little harsh don't you think?" The woman whined playfully "Its just over there, I'll show you.". Oh no. This really was a kidnapping scheme. It had to be. 

The kids ignored the woman and focused on Shiori but the bird's eyes were glued on two similarly dressed individuals by a black car in the park's parking lot. Quickly he flew off the girls shoulder, startling everyone in the process and flew far enough away no one could see him. Once behind a tree he shifted and cursed the fact he was still in his U.A uniform and not more casual clothes. 

Haru was starting to look really nervous and was glancing around obviously looking for an out. Mika was standing her ground but got distracted watching Shiori. Oh, she definitely just saw him shift. Without a second thought he walked right over to the pair and looked the woman in the eyes. 

She was a lot bigger than him. Shiori was both a tiny bird and a tiny human but being a hero student he had seen his classmates stare down 'villains' during their training exercises and knew how to intimidate. "Lets go guys." He said simply. Mika took his hand without a thought and grabbed Haru's in her other. 

"A U.A student, huh? Here to save these little brats?" The woman mocked "Kiddos if you don't know him you shouldn't follow him either.". 

"He's my big brother!" Mika said quickly. Shiori smiled at her greatfully as he nodded to the woman curtly and walked away with the kids in toes. When they reached the playground a brown haired woman ran up to them immediately. She looked a little panicked at first but quickly saw Shiori's uniform and sighed with relief. 

"Haru, Mika I'm in charge of you today, you can't run off like that!" The woman scolded. Haru mumbled a quick 'Sorry mom' while Mika began recounting their whole experience. 

"And-and he's a bird!" The little girl finished. Slightly panicked Shiori held his finger to his lips to show her it was a secret. "I mean he's not a bird!" Mika covered quickly. The brown haired woman just smiled at Shiori gratefully and thanked him. 

As the high schooler walked back towards U.A  he couldn't help but think 'so that's what real moms are like'. He didn't have that with his 'mother', not even close. The closest to that Shiori did have were Aizawa and Hizashi. He blushed red at the thought. They weren't his parents, they were just nice people. He really shouldn't think about them like that. 

----- ----- ----- ----- ---- ----- ---- ----- ------ ----- 

"Fill this out." Nezu said, tossing a stack of paper to Shiori. "You won't be getting your provisional license like your class did today, although from what you've told me you had quite the heroic adventure regardless.". Shiori blushed again. 

The reason he had the day off was because the rest of his class were getting their provisional licenses. "This paperwork will get you your I.R.Q.R its fairly necessary for the type of hero work you want to do." Nezu explained. At Shiori's confused face he explained "It stands for Intelligence and Reconnaissance Quirk License. It allows you to operate as hero adjacent. Aizawa has one. There are special privileges that come with it but it also doesn't give you the authority of a hero license. With this you will be able to participate in the work study alongside your classmates.". 

That was all the principal had to say. The moment he heard 'Work Study' Shiori's name was already on the first page and his quirk information was being filled out. He just had to decide if he should register as a bird or a human. 

------------------------------------------

Sorry once again for the delay, I've literally had no free time these days. All I do is eat sleep and do school work. I hate it here. 

Stay Tuned for the work study arc!