18: I'm Still Here Pt. 1

This is kinda unrelated but holy shit 100 followers! You guys are so amazing! 

----------------------------------------------------

Shiori took a deep breath, inhaling the crisp morning air. The Tori district was always beautiful. Lots of green trees, steams and nature. It had made sneaking out as a little kid much easier. 

Back when he was in elementary school he would wake up super early and just fly out of his window. He'd spend hours in the forest before school. It was weird. He never got tired. Maybe his quirk just meant he needed less sleep? 

His train of thought was broken when Aizawa's hand clapped him on the back. "You're up kid. Go look through those windows and see if you can find him." The teacher said, a determined yet understanding expression on his face. They were in the woods, having staked out the house for hours, waiting till Ichika left the house. 

She must not have changed jobs as she stayed well past nine am. Eventually their window was closing and the heroes decided to just start regardless. 

One of the weirdest steps they took to prepare for the mission was dyeing Shiori's hair. They figured if Ichika caught sight of a white bird, she would recognize him right away. With varying shades of brown and even a few black strands, Shiori's bird form was almost unrecognizable. Denki and Jiro had been the ones to help him with it while the rest of the class mourned the temporary loss of their 'snowball'. 

Squeezing the harness strap of his hero costume, Shiori willed himself to shift. With a puff of smoke he was perched on Aizawa's shoulder, waiting for the 'go' signal. There was a flash of reflected mirror light, and Shiori darted towards the house, his heartbeat hammering in his ears. 

He cautiously approached his old window, noticing she hadn't fixed the him sized hole he had put in the chicken wire she had wrapped around it. He had received quite the beating for that. His bedroom was exactly as it was before, like nothing had ever changed. A layer of dust covered most surfaces and the two tiny rose bushes he had kept for years had withered and died. 

It was sad to see. He had no happy memories of this house except for this room. There was a lock on the door and that lock had saved him more times than he could count. Usually if he locked the door she would be too enraged to bother getting the key and he could slip out the window without a second thought. The room was a buffer. He used to run at top speed from the front door to this very room as a kid. 

The sounds were familiar too, the sniffling of a small child, the creaking of the closet door. Wait-

Shiori was snapped out of his nostalgia trip as the sound grew louder, less regular. It was coming from the closet. He double checked that the door was locked before shifting into his human form. He clicked the grey button on his bracelet twice to let the team know he had located Inoue safely. There was no sight of his former 'parent' anywhere. It might be easier then he thought. 

"Inoue?" He said softly "I'm a hero, Kei. I'm here to rescue you. I'm going to need you to open the right closet door very, very slowly. Your right, not mine." Shiori explained. The left door squeaked horribly and he didn't need any attention on them. 

Slowly, the sniffled quieted and the door opened silently. It was disturbing how much they looked alike. Inoue's green eyes were probably the only difference between the two. 

Both recognized the face immediately too, mouths falling open. Shioir's hair wasn't even white at the moment. 

It made him sick to his stomach. 

"Alright Inoue, I need you to come with me to the window quietly so she doesn't hear us." He said calmly. Inoue nodded, stepping out of the closet on shaking legs. 

The moment his foot hit the floor footsteps approached the door. 

"Riri, sweetie, are you awake? You fainted earlier, can you let me in?". It was Ichika. No doubt. Shiori felt like he was going to vomit. Maybe he wasn't such a good fit for the mission. After his contributions at the meeting the lady had told him he had just passed his test. That the info was more than enough for him to keep his license, but he had insisted he should participate in the rescue. 

Shiori clicked the button on his wrist twice to let them know he had run into Ichika. His finger lingered over it, temped to push it three times for 'danger, help' but he didn't. If they rushed in now he could tempt Ichika to activate her quirk and trap them. 

"Riri?" She questioned, knocking on the door three times. Riri. It could easily be an abbreviation of Inoue's first name, Banri. But Riri was something she called Shiori. He took Inoue into his arms and rushed as quietly as possible to the window. 

With all the strength in his free arm he wrenched it open and pulled back the chicken wire. The knocks came in quicker succession. "I have the key, and I will open the door if you don't answer it right this instant young man.". 

There was a noise below the window, one of the heroes with a quirk that let him stick to walls. In a bit of a panic, Shiori shoved Inoue into his arms, right as the door flung open. 

"I told you to open the fucking door you-" Her shouts died out as her eyes met Shiori's shaking form. "Riri..." She said, sounding like she was about to burst into tears "Where did you go? Why did you leave me all alone? Oh my baby!". 

Before he could move she lunged forwards and pulled him into a hug. Shiori's body went rigid in the overly warm embrace. She had always been a human furnace, smothering him, almost literally so in her clutches. 

"Where were you?" 

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm so sorry for being late with a bunch of updates, the wifi has been out for a couple days. Well, just over 30 hours now, but those 30 hours were very inconveniently placed if that makes sense! 

As compensation I'm updating a bunch of stuff all at once since I've had the chapters in my brain for so long.