11: Feeling A Little Cold?

Waiting at the agency was a difficult task. After Mirio and Midoriya explained what had happened with Chisaki Kai they had to explain that they sent Yamada after him which Nighteye didn't particularly like. 

"He could be in danger. There's a chance of getting caught even if he isn't recognizable but I'm more concerned about him being hurt by a quirk going off in the area." Nighteye said, wracking his brain for the possible dangers. "What's really important here is that we find the address of where they're holding the girl. If she's as injured as you say she is, this is a dangerous situation.". 

The pair of hero students nodded and helped Bubble Girl come up with the most accurate description of the girl possible. They needed every hero in Masutafu to know what she looked like even if they couldn't engage with the yakuza just yet. 

Worry for Yamada's safety reached an all time high when the student's shift ended and he still hadn't returned. "Do we have any way of contacting him?" Mirio asked seriously. Nighteye looked up from his computer screen.

"Not in his current form, unless he needed to shift for some reason. If we can reach him right now he's in more trouble." The hero said matter-of-factly. Mirio nodded stiffly and went to go take his costume off. 

Just as he did, Yamada's body slumped through an open window. He was panting heavily and clutching something in his hand as if his life depended on it. His normally white hair looked like it had been dyed brown at some point and overall he looked exhausted. 

"Yamada!" Midoriya said, rushing to his classmate's side "Are you alright?". The teen gave a quick thumbs up, still trying to catch his breath and flopped onto the floor and off the windowsill. 

"Here," He said, slamming a scrap of paper down on Nighteye's desk "the address of where they're holding the girl. She's-" he panted for a moment "she's in the basement somewhere, I don't know, I can't actually enter buildings in either form. Her name's Eri.". With that he slumped over, his cheek squished into the desk. 

Nighteye quickly took the scrap of paper and entered something into his computer. "I suppose I should call your teacher as it doesn't look like Yamada here will be making it home on public transportation.". Midoriya nodded and made sure he had Mr. Aizawa's number. 

---- ----- ---- ---- ----- ----- ----- ------ ------ ------ 

It was hard to focus on anything Mr. Yamada was saying. Shiori's mind wandered Eri every single time. Maybe he was overthinking it, but watching her being dragged around town and get into that creepy looking car just made him worried for every second she spent with Overhaul. 

He had already resolved to fly back over to the yakuza headquarters before his next shift as a hero trainee. Its not like he would get hurt, he'd just colour his feathers black for a bit just in case someone got suspicious. He'd be doing it right now if not for this English lesson. 

Shiori couldn't help but grumble a bit. Birds didn't have to do English lessons. Birds wouldn't have an ethical dilemma while eating chicken and birds wouldn't have to do a mountain of homework. 

Just then, he sneezed. But that wasn't the issue, the issue was that when he opened his eyes he was on the seat of his desk, but tiny. He was a bird. Freaking out since this wasn't normal he shifted back instantly, hoping that since he sat in the very back in the corner far from the window no one would notice. Luckily enough it seemed like no one did. 

He sniffled but otherwise ignored it, trying not to cause a scene and reveal himself as Shiori the bird. Everything was back to normal for maybe five minutes until he sneezed again. 

Back to being a bird then. 

Shiori readied himself for shifting again, feeling a little dizzy from shifting involuntarily but stopped dead. He made direct eye contact with Bakugou. Shit. Without missing a beat he flapped up to sit on his desk, trying not to shift in front of the angry pomeranian again, lest he confirm his identity. 

But he sneezed again, this time ending up sitting on his desk in human form. Shiori slipped from the sitting position and onto the floor really quickly, catching the attention of the class. "Yamada, are you alright?" Mic asked, eyeing him worriedly. 

"I'm okay!" Shiori squeaked, silently begging him to continue the lesson. Present Mic just shrugged and turned back around to finish writing out the sentence of the day. 'Am I getting sick?' Shiori wondered, trying not to sneeze or cough. God knows what coughing did. 'Is it a stress sickness? No, its probably from being literally dragged through the mud chasing after Chisaki.'. 

Getting sick was not in the plan though. Shiori had a cold like this only once before and it ended in a broken arm, curtesty of Hayashi Ishika. He also could afford to miss school since he hadn't really been paying attention since his last shift at his internship. 

Another sneeze caught him off guard and this time he noticed Bakugou's eyes on him the whole time. No one else seemed to notice, not even Shoji and his super senses payed him any mind. Quickly shifting back and making himself a bit lightheaded in the process, Shiori raised his hand. 

"Yes Yamada?" "I'm actually not okay, can I go to Recovery Girl's office?". His pleading eyes must have gotten through to Yamada since he agreed pretty quickly. Shiori scrambled out of his desk and towards the door. 

He had barely gotten two meters from the classroom's door before he sneezed and shifted again. As he was trying to process what had just happened, he felt himself being picked up. Bakugou was glaring at him. 

Shiori was shaking at the thought of his secret being out. Maybe Bakugou would tell everyone or blackmail him or any number of things. But he didn't. He just stared and after a moment clicked his tongue and started walking. 

The bird chirped worriedly and Bakugou groaned. "Shut up I'm taking you to the nurse's office!" He spat, walking quickly down the hallway. 

----- ------ ----- ------ ----- ------ ------ ------ ----- 

So Recovery Girl wasn't there today. That was more than fine with Shiori, he just figured he could ride this cold out and explain to Aizawa why he couldn't do his school work later. He had shifted about 7 times since Bakugou brought him to the infirmary but the blonde had remained silent. Eventually he went back to class and Shiori just waited for either the sneezing to stop or for Yamada and Aizawa to show up. 

Eventually the door did open, but it was Midoriya. "Yamada! I got a call from Nighteye! You probably got one too but you left your phone in class." The green haired teen explained "We're going to a meeting tomorrow after school, something to do with Chisaki Kai.". 

"Maybe we're rescuing Eri." Shiori thought aloud. His plans to try and pop in an early visit were now dashed thanks to the cold but if they were meeting about it tomorrow it couldn't be too much longer. Midoriya nodded with a grief stricken expression and turned back to his classmate. 

"I'm determined to save her. We have to no matter what. I-" Midoriya took a deep breath "I don't know how we let her slip through our fingers.". Shiori went to put his hand on Midoriya's shoulder. The two had locked eyes, it was going to be a big bonding moment. 

Until Shiori sneezed. 

------------------------------------------

Shapeshifter colds seem like the worse thing.

I'm really sorry this is late, I'm super busy with school and depression. You know how it is.

Welcome to: So You Think You're Friend's A Bird. Airing every Wednesday at 7. Not really but I enjoy television slogans. 

Stay Tuned!