Traditions of the Court (Royalty AU)

Summary: You grew up around Spencer, since his mom was your teacher growing up. You two grow up together and he ends up taking his mother's place, while you become ready to become Queen. But what's to happen when you and he realize that you have feelings for each other?

_____________________

"But mother-"

"No, Y/N. You need to attend your classes like everyone else. Just because you're the princess, doesn't mean you can't get an education like the other children in the court."

You groan as you drag yourself into the library where several other children of royal court members are. Mrs. Reid's face lightens up when she sees you, "Y/N, dear! Wonderful! We're just about to start! Take any available seat and we'll get started."

You sigh as you trudge over to an empty seat near the back next to a boy who doesn't look like a he'd be a child of the court, "Who're you?" the young boy is startled when you address him and pushes his glasses up his nose, "I'm, um, Spencer. Spencer Reid. My mom's the teacher."

"Are you even allowed to be here?"

He nodded, "Yes, uh, the Queen, your mother, said it was alright. Do-Do you want me to move, Princess Y/N?"

You sigh and shake your head, "No, it's okay. And you can just call me, Y/N."

"Oh, okay, Y/N." Spencer mumbles and goes to pay attention to his mother's instructions. Throughout class, he sees you looking sad, dejected. So while his mother is helping another student, he leans over, "Are you okay?"

You shrug, "Not really fond of going to class."

"How come?"

"I don't think it's very interesting. I'd rather be learning how to defend myself with my father and the Royal Guards."

"Well, if you're going to be queen someday, it's important for you to know this stuff. The geography of our kingdoms and surrounding kingdoms, the history of our country and your family, how to speak publically, appear proper, all of that stuff."

You look at him a little confused, "You're not even a court member's child. Why are you here? It's not important for you."

He shrugged, "I like to learn new things, plus, I'll be taking over teaching when my mom gets too old. So it's better to learn stuff now rather than later. I remember all kinds of stuff."

You hummed, looking down at the books in front of you, "Think you can help me then? Since all of this isn't my kind of thing?"

"S-Sure."

It was during class and the extra tutoring on the side that you and Spencer ended up getting close. From when you were seven year olds up to when you were eighteen, he'd been by your side. He'd read while you attended your fencing and archery lessons. He'd wait for you while you shadowed your parents during court meetings. He was there when your father died due to an unknowing heart attack. He was there for it all until...

"You're leaving me?" you looked at him with saddened eyes.

"It'll only be for a few years. I want to travel around and learn as much as I can before I come back and take my mother's place as the court's educator." his hands rest on your shoulders and you look down in solemn, "It's not forever, Y/N."

"But we're always together, Spence. You've been there for everything and-and-"

"Do you want me to stay?" he asks softly. You look up at him and he asks again, "Y/N, do you want me to stay? If you do, then I'll stay." you search his eyes and see that he's completely serious. But you also see the yearning in his eyes, the need to explore and learn more.