Chapter 4- Tongue-tied

Chapter 4

Tongue-tied

“Wait. You haven’t told me yet.” He said that disturb the awkward silence between us.

“About?” I asked.

“About why you were crying last night.”

“I better not.” I said.

“Why not?”

I took a deep sigh. “It’s private.” And I want to forget about it.

“I see.” I could sense the disappointment on his tone.

“We better go home. It’s getting late and we still have early class tomorrow.” I said and stood up. I walked away from the swing. Seconds later, I felt him walked beside me.

We walked silently and it feels very awkward. We reached their house which is just beside ours.

“Good night then.” He said. “And thanks for the dinner. Your lasagna tastes good.” He added and entered the gate.

But before he closed it, he said. “Dean, it’s nice meeting you.”

I don’t know if it was me or was his voice just become sweeter.

“Likewise.” I said without looking back at him.

I don’t want to see his face or rather, I don’t want him to see my crimson face.

Why am I like this all of a sudden?

I am slowly feeling this familiar sensation that caused me so much pain.

I’m afraid.

The door of the cafeteria swung open, the boys fell silent and the girls, they gasped.

I looked at the culprit and saw Grey with that fresh annoying looks of his. I really don’t understand myself. I seem to be okay with him last night but today, my irritation stirred up. My blood begins to boil again.

He walked straight towards my table. I pretended I didn’t saw him and concentrated on reading E.L James’ fifty shades of Grey.

Yeah, I know. His name is on the book. But I don’t care; he’s a complete opposite of the character.

I felt him sat down on the seat opposite me.

I ignored him. However, he never failed to irritate me.

He made this annoying noise over the table using his fingers. I raised my eyes to confront him but suddenly I felt tongue-tied.

The bastard! Why does he look so gorgeous with that mischievous smile of his?

“Hi.” He muttered.

I took a deep breath and looked back on the book. “Hi.” I replied, pretending that I’m preoccupied with the book, but the truth is I can’t concentrate reading.

He leaned over the table and I felt his stare over me.

“What do you want?” I asked without looking up. I don’t want to see his face especially his eyes.

“You.” He said so straightforward.

I was taken aback. Shit!

“I’m kidding.” He chuckled. “I was here to inform you that we’re on the same group in the preparations for the school festival.

“I see.” Shit. My voice gave way. I don’t understand why I felt disappointed that he’s kidding. Aaargh. “And what was assigned to our group?”

“Planning.” He said.

“Planning.” I restated.

“And we have a lot of things to do. Everybody relies on us.” He said as he rested his back on the chair.

“Why are you saying this to me alone? Where are our other group mates?” I asked.

“oh. Haven’t I told you that it’s only the two of us?”

“What?” I asked in surprise.

“It was according to Mrs. Dayman’s list.”

And so it was. We began planning for the decorations and I always try my best to keep my focus.

I can’t seem to breathe near him. It’s not that he’s foul-smelling, I just don’t want to smell his musk or for sure, I’ll get high added with the abnormal palpitations of my vascular organ.

“We better continue tomorrow.” I said.

“Why? We’re almost finished.”

“I’m not feeling well.” I lied. Well, half of it is true.

“What’s wrong?” He stood up and reached for my forehead. “You’re sweating.”

I distanced myself away and snatched my bag and ran.

“Hey.” It was all I heard from him.

When I closed the door behind me, it was the moment I regained my bearing. Shit!

“Are you okay Dean?”

“Mom?” I gasped in surprise. “You’re early.”

“Oh yes, I’m preparing my belongings. I’ll be out of town for 3 days because of work.”

“What? How about me?”

“How about you? You’re big enough Dean. I’m sure you can handle yourself.” She disappeared behind the kitchen door. Then her head showed. “Ah I remembered, Grey promised that he’ll accompany you here during my absence so there’s no need to worry. Besides, you have your credit card.”

“What?”

“You heard me.” Grey is staying here with you for 3 days.”

Then I heard a knock on the door. I opened it and saw Grey.

“Phew. I thought something has happened to you. I’m glad you’re okay.” He said, standing in front of me, panting. It’s obvious that he’s been running.

“Oh, Grey, you’re here. Please take care of this child of mine. I have to go now.” My mother said as she walked towards the car.

“No problem Mrs. Anderson.” He answered.

“Thank you.” She said and turned to me. “Be nice to Grey, Dean.” She said, and just like that, she went.

I turned to Grey. “Look, I don’t need you to take good care of me. I’m old enough o handle myself.” I said.

“I promised your mother Dean.” He said.

“Well, it’s okay. She won’t know anyway.

“No. If I promise somebody, I don’t fail them.” His expression dimmed.

He seemed to be angry.

But he realized it and blinked for a moment then he entered the house.

Aaargh. This is frustrating