Chapter 1

"I don't feel good."

You started rocking back and forth, your breathing coming too fast and too shallow. A drop of sweat rolled down from your armpit, making you hyper-aware of the fact that you were looking like a mess. You pressed the back of your hand to your forehead and groaned; your hairline was wet.

Looking at your dress, you felt bile rise up in your throat.

You should have worn the blue dress. Blue was a nice colour, everyone loved blue. Blue made people calm and at ease. No, instead, you had taken Natasha's advice and put on the tight orange-red dress that clung to your body and made your breasts look incredible.

But now the dress stuck uncomfortably to your body, the space between your breasts was wet and glistening. You couldn't breathe, you couldn't think. Red was the colour of passion, of anger and danger, and you just had to deal with your poor life decision.

Although deep down, you knew it wasn't about the dress, or its colour.

"Relax," Natasha said, sipping her lemonade. "I'm here, it's going to be fine."

"I am not fucking relaxed, Nat," you repeated with a scoff. "I'm at a bar, about to meet a potential sugar daddy; that's not what normal people do on a Friday night."

"You'd be surprised," she sassed. You gave her an unimpressed look. "Look, you can live with me for as long as you like, and you can work odd shifts at the hotel for the rest of your life if that's what you want. But I know you, you're an artist, and artists need freedom and benefactors. Sam is the reason I finished paying my tuition. You can call him my sugar daddy, but I prefer the word scholarship."

Yeah, it was only a matter of perspective –and vocabulary. Some may call this whole thing brilliant, others stupid. You weren't quite sure what to think yet.

"And this guy's legit?" you asked for the nth time.

"Yes, Sam says he's a great guy; sweet, handsome, thoughtful. He's the whole package."

"Mmmh."

You eyed the pair of napkins the waiter had placed on the table along with your drinks, and wondered if it would be appropriate to stick them under your armpits to sop up the sweat trickling down your sides.

"Oh, fuck it," you grumbled, reaching for the napkins.

You patted your armpits dry while you anxiously scanned the growing crowd. It was a high end bar, definitely not your usual hang out spot. The patrons were dressed in designer clothes and wore jewellery that cost more than your three years of art classes at the School of Visual Arts.

"Do we really have to stay sober?"

Natasha cocked a brow at you. "You don't drink."

You only groaned in response.

"I know how you're feeling, I've been there, too," she replied. "It'll be like a normal first date. You'll get to know each other, see if you guys hit it off, and if everything goes well you'll talk about the arrangement. You can't give consent if you're under the influence of alcohol, so drink your lemonade and stop fussing, yeah?"

Like an obedient child, you brought the bent straw to your lips and took a quick sip of the icy refreshment. You toyed with the straw and watched the ice cubes slowly shrink. It was strangely soothing.

"They're here."

And just like that, your panic returned full force. You snapped your head up and tried to smile when you saw Sam approaching your table. You set your drink down on the coffee table and wiped your clammy hands on your dress.