Chapter 2

Bucky stood under the glass awning in front of the hotel, the neon green light illuminating the path to the automatic doors. He forced his eyes closed and listened to the sound of rain hitting the glass shelter.

It was just after 6:30 in the morning and he had been standing there for over ten minutes, trying to work up the courage to enter the building. He was sweating, trembling, breathing like he'd just run a marathon. Every sound around him seemed amplified; cars honking, people talking or listening to music. It was hell.

He desperately wanted to take a cab ride back to Brooklyn and hide in his apartment. Bucky had a strict routine -get up at six, eat, shave, shower, go for a walk, etc- and he needed it to keep his mind focused and his body healthy. Though lately, his therapist had encouraged him to stray from his routine if he felt like it. And he wanted to, but his body wasn't cooperating.

Instead he just stood here, stuck between two choices that terrified him. He could go back home and hate himself for taking the 'easy way out', or he could take the plunge and enter the building. He had come here on a whim, but now that he was here he felt as if he really needed to see you. He didn't even know if you were working.

He looked over his shoulder, he could almost see the metaphorical pack of wolves waiting for him. It would be easy to give in and let them take him. He could go back to his old life, his old habits, or he could jump off that metaphorical cliff and hope for the best.

Your chances are infinite. Anything can happen.

"Can I help you, sir?"

Bucky greeted the receptionist with a smile. He asked if he could have breakfast at the hotel restaurant and she agreed before leading him to the Bar Lounge.

The room was large, with row after row of square tables perfectly aligned. There were a few more private seats close to the bar and an oval buffet in the middle of the room. A woman in a dark grey suit scooped a small portion of scrambled eggs onto her plate next to two slices of toasted white bread. She raised her gaze to his and nodded in greeting.

The swing door that led to the kitchen burst open and Bucky turned his attention to the sound. You were carrying a large tank of orange juice to the buffet table, a pen tucked behind your ear and a piece of paper between your lips. There was a slight furrow between your brows as you set the tank on the table.

Your scuffed boots were gone, replaced by black ballet flats. Your pencil skirt rose up as you stretched to reach the highest part of the buffet. Bucky hastily looked away from your bare legs, not wanting to look like a total creep. Once you were done, you smoothed down your skirt and tucked your white shirt into your skirt.

Your hair was brushed away from your face and your lips were painted red, something dark and empowering, and it contrasted beautifully with your strict, uninspiring uniform, which only intended to erase any sense of individuality.

"Hi, how can I h- Hey, I know you," you said, approaching him. "You're Bucky."

He bashfully looked at his shoes. "Yeah, hi." He cleared his throat and raised his gaze to yours. "I was hoping to run into you. I, uh, I can't stop thinking about our talk." He ran his hand through his hair. "I was rude and brusque, and you were incredibly nice. I really feel like an ass."

You chuckled. "It's fine. Honestly, I was nervous, too. You should have seen me –I was a complete mess."

"Could have fooled me," he replied with a grin. "Though you did say that meeting me was like choosing between a pack of wolves or jumping off a cliff."

"Gosh!" You facepalmed. "See? A complete mess!" You gestured to the table behind you. "Have you eaten yet? Sit down, it's on me." He opened his mouth to protest but you cut him off. "You paid for the taxi. It's only fair."