Chapter 3

The rest of the week went by, and you kept hoping Bucky would come back. You hadn't seen him since he'd left 300 dollars under his napkin after visiting you at work. You had tucked the bills into your bra, knowing they would be safe there, and walked home at the end of your shift.

Now it was Thursday afternoon and you were craving a day off.

Natasha's apartment was spacious and the oversized glass window bathed the living room in natural sunlight. The apartment was a gift from Sam. Obviously.

You dropped your purse on the sofa –your bed- and laid out the bills on the coffee table. It was made of marble and brass, another gift from Sam.

You didn't know what to do with the money, so you took it wherever you went, to keep it safe. You wanted to return it to Bucky. It was too much and you weren't used to random acts of kindness.

You sunk into the cushion and blew out a sigh as you stared at the money. The persistent vibration of your phone against your thigh pulled you out of your thoughts. Half expecting it to be Natasha, you answered without looking at the caller ID.

The operator told you that Scott Lang was calling from Saint Quentin State Prison, and asked if you would accept the charges. You agreed. You always agreed.

"Splotchy, I need your help."

Closing your eyes, you let your head fall back against the cushion. "I told you to stop calling me that, Scott."

It was a silly nickname.

As a child, your mother dubbed you splotchy because of the colourful doodles you painted on the living room walls, and your siblings, who were roughly a few years older than you, had loved using that nickname. Especially since they knew you disliked it.

Their support and endless enthusiasm played a big part in your artistic journey, nurturing that spark into a flame. What started out as a childlike fascination with colours and shapes became your whole life. No one was surprised when you decided to pursue a degree in fine arts.

After the death of her husband, Peggy Carter adopted five children; a little boy from San Francisco, a little girl from Wakanda, twins from Sokovia and a little girl whose birth parents were still in high school. You were the last one, the only one she adopted as a baby.

"Is it offensive to call an artist splotchy?"

"It's irrelevant. I haven't painted in months," you replied. "And we're not kids anymore, you can use my name."

"I've been calling you Splotchy for so long, I forgot your actual name."

"You're so funny," you deadpanned. "What do you need, Scott?"

Scott's tone changed suddenly, his voice grew agitated. "I need you to call Maggie. She isn't picking up when I call her."

"Scott," you sighed.

"I haven't talked to Cassie since her birthday," he cut you off, pleading. "Please, I just want to talk to my little girl."

Maggie was Scott's ex-wife. Six months after his incarceration, she had filed for divorce. Natasha thought it was a real dick move but you didn't blame Maggie. She was alone, her husband was in jail –for basically being a dumbass although the official charge was embezzlement and destruction of property- and she had a kid to raise.

Maggie wasn't a saint but she was a good mother, and Cassie was a smart and healthy kid. Now you knew what to do with Bucky's money.

"I'll call her," you said. "Listen, I'm going to put 50 bucks on your book. Buy yourself a bar of soap, I can smell you from here." Scott interrupted you with a monotone 'har har'. You chuckled. "I'll buy Cassie a Christmas gift on your behalf, all right? I think she wanted a bike."