Chapter 10

You looked around the bar while you sipped your drink, a 12 dollar grapefruit juice and club soda cocktail. There weren't many people at one in the afternoon, mostly suits and wealthy tourists, though you half expected to find Natasha hiding in the back with a hat, a large pair of sunglasses and an unfolded newspaper.

From the rug to the chairs and armchairs, everything was either black or white. You ran your index finger over the intricate calligraphy on the back of your chair. It was a number: 5.

Turning back around, you glanced at the clock and mentally cursed yourself for always being so early. You hated being late, and arriving less than ten minutes early counted as late in your book. You were nervous to see Wanda after all this time.

You hadn't been expecting her to stay at a hotel on the Upper East Side. You wondered how she could afford it, but decided it was none of your business.

"I had a feeling you'd be here already." That familiar voice brought back fond childhood memories and other not so pleasant memories. "You're always early."

You didn't move a muscle as Wanda took a seat next to you, number 6. She signalled the bartender and ordered a latte. Meanwhile you played with your straw, trying to subtly steal a glance at her.

"What did you do to your hair?" you asked with a grimace, turning your body toward her.

Without looking at you, she raised her brows in mild exasperation. "I dyed it."

"It's orange."

"Okay," she sighed. "I get it. You're angry with me."

"Oh," you drawled out. "I'm well past angry. I was angry four years ago, now I just don't care anymore."

"You don't care about me anymore?"

"No, and it's not like you cared about me, or Scott, or Okoye." You paused. "Or mom."

Wanda had a shocked look on her face as she finally met your eyes. "That's low. You have no idea-"

"No, you have no idea what it was like to live in that house after you all left. You have absolutely no idea," you said, enunciating each word between your teeth, "because you weren't there, because you left us –you left me. Six years, Wanda."

She looked away and you saw her bottom lip quiver. She clenched her jaw and took a small sip of her latte. You instantly felt bad for snapping at her. You didn't like confrontation. Hated arguing. You internalized. It was difficult for you to acknowledge that you had a right to express your feelings.

"I, uh," Wanda said, then cleared her throat. "I knew you weren't going to welcome me with open arms, and I know what I did was wrong, but I'd like us to be a family again. If it's not too late."

"It's not too late," you said with a small sigh. "But I'm not going to instantly forgive you just because you're back."

"I know."

"What made you come back?"

She fiddled with her fingers in her lap and you noticed the ring on her fourth finger. It was a beautiful vintage-inspired ring made of black rhodium with an ornate cadenza halo in the centre.

A terrible thought occurred to you, making your stomach twist painfully. You didn't know her at all. Not anymore. You had missed so much of your sister's life. Or more accurately; she had cut you out of her life, and it was painful.

"I went to London," Wanda said, unaware of your inner turmoil. "I saw Uncle Michael. He asked me if I was here to see mom, and I said, 'No, mom's in New York.' And then he told me-" she tilted her head to look at you "-he told me mom was sick, that you and Okoye put her in a nursing home not far from his apartment. I didn't believe him, so he took me to mom and she-" She paused, staring straight ahead as if she was caught in the memory