Chapter 12

The next morning, you woke up early but the spot beside you on the bed was already empty. You touched it, it was still warm. With a smile on your face, you rolled onto your stomach and hugged your pillow.

You closed your eyes and mumbled to yourself. "Just five more minutes."

Thirty minutes later, you felt the mattress dip slightly as Bucky climbed in. He pressed his lips to your exposed neck and kissed his way down the curve of your shoulder.

"I love kissing your shoulders. I think I could spend my whole day here, just kissing you."

You giggled and rolled onto your side, holding the sheet to your naked chest but still giving him full access to your shoulder. He traced a line of playful bites down your shoulder, smiling against your skin when you squealed in pleasure.

You tilted your head to look at him, taking in his appearance. "Why are you already dressed?" you asked with a frown.

He pulled back and sat back on his haunches, his head bent down a little and a guilty look in his eyes. It made your stomach churn. You pulled the sheet higher, watching him the whole time while you tried to figure out if something had gone wrong.

"I have a meeting with my publicist," he said, looking apologetic. "I'm so sorry, angel, I forgot to tell you. I wanted to tell you last night, but then," he trailed off. "I don't regret what happened. It was... incredible. I'm not running away from you, believe me. I kinda want to fake my own death so I can stay in bed with you today."

You chuckled and gently tugged on his hand to bring him closer. He hovered over you, supporting his weight on his forearm, and kissed you. His kiss made your toes curl and your insides melt. You didn't want him to leave.

"I hate to ask you this," you said between kisses, "but can you reschedule your meeting?"

"I tried but she's going on vacation tomorrow." He frowned and rubbed his nose against yours. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart. I made you breakfast, your favorite. I'll be back before dinner."

"Okay. We'll talk then."

He pressed a kiss to your brows and climbed off the bed. He promised to text you later, then he disappeared into the hallway. A few seconds later, you heard the door close.

You knew it was time to get up, but you wanted to spend a few more minutes in bed. You buried your face in his pillow, losing yourself in the memories of the previous night. Your body shivered and you became aware of the pleasant soreness between your legs.

You closed your eyes and started playing with your necklace as you remembered the feel of his hand and lips on your body. You remembered the words he spoke against your skin, the moans and chuckles you shared.

With Bucky you felt safe, respected, treasured. You had never felt so connected to anyone before.

You ate your breakfast with a smile on your face, then got ready for the day. You sent a text to Natasha, asking her to meet you at your apartment in an hour, before you ran a quick errand to the drugstore. You were a little apprehensive as you asked for the morning-after pill but the chemist put you at ease.

When you returned home, you made sure to leave the front door unlocked for Natasha before you made your way upstairs.

Clutching the doorframe, you glanced around your studio. Everything looked the same as you'd left it the night before: rainbow footprints on the hardwood floor, clothes thrown everywhere, and the canvas stretched out in the middle of the room.

Slowly, you ventured in the room. You put away the empty bowls of paint and cleaned the footprints as best you could. When Natasha arrived, you were sitting on the floor looking at the painting you'd made with Bucky. You heard her footsteps as she climbed to the second floor.