S E V E N T E E N.

Rebecca, one of our closest friends, was having a small get together at her place. Drinks, swimming pool and music. Matt was invited, so I was looking forward to spend some time with him. A few of his friends were invited too, so it was a good chance for him to meet my friends on a different level and for me to meet his friends too. I looked at myself in the mirror, checking my outfit. Simple, casual, yet feminine. The trying to impress Matt stage of the relationship was kind of over, since he knew a lot of things about me and my life. He knew that I loved to eat a lot and how I didn't care how bad I looked when chicken wings were served in front of me. Or how grumpy I get when I'm on my period. Or how crazy I was over 'The Fault in Our Stars' and the fact I've read the book four times already. He knew almost every single detail about me. Just like I knew a lot of things about him too. Like the way his cat and his dog fought to get his attention. Or how going to church on Sundays meant a lot to him and his family. Or how much he enjoyed to play soccer on Thursday nights with his high school friends. Or even the fact he was so creative, it surprised me the things he came up with. I got out of my room and headed to the living room, only to find my dad reading the newspaper.

''Dad?'' I asked, interrupting. He put the newspaper on the table, folded in half, and his eyes met mine.

''Ready?'' I nodded. He knew I had a get together at Rebecca's place. He stood up from the couch and we got out of the house. I was walking behind him, toward the car and a matter of seconds we were already on our way to Rebecca's. ''How long are you going to be there?'' He asked, not leaving his eyes from the road.

''Um,'' I scratched my temple, figuring out what to answer. ''I'll call you.''

''Not too late.''

''Sure thing.'' I pressed my lips together, staring out into the window. I saw a few people walking down the streets, like a typical Friday night. People go out to the bar down the street, or to the small club located at the town's center. My friends and I only went to house parties, since it's a good way not to spend a lot of money. My dad left me in front of Rebecca's house and by the sound of the loud music playing, I knew almost everybody was there. I dialed her number, as I watched my dad's car get smaller by every second. She didn't answer. I dialed Alex's number, but it was a total fail. Then I decided to call Bella, and for heaven's sake, she answered. It took her seconds to get to the door and let me in. I noticed the girls were in the living room and the boys were in the kitchen. I saw Matt's back, while the rest of the guys were supporting their bodies on the counter tops. Carl, Rebecca's boyfriend, touched Matt's shoulder and then pointed at me. Matt turned around and had this big smile written on his face. I looked down, blushing, as he walked over to me.

''Hey there.'' He pecked my lips, leaving traces of the taste of vodka on my lips. I licked my lips, before offering him a smile.

''I thought you were still at home.''

He shook his head no. ''Victor picked me up. We were just talking with Carlos about you and Rebecca.''

''You were?'' I was surprised.

He nodded, taking me into his arms. ''We were thinking about going on a double date.''

''That'd be cool!'' I hugged him, my arms wrapping around him tight. I heard Zoey called my name so I let him go. He walked over to the boys and I walked over to my girls. They were gossiping and talking about cute guys around the campus. ''Hey girls, who are you talking about?''

''Him.'' Alex said, extending her phone to me. I saw a really cute guy on the screen and I just chuckled. She kept looking at his Facebook profile, while the rest started talking about classes. I rolled my eyes as I took in my hand pretzels, I could easily hear the sound of my teeth chewing on them. The boys made their way to the living room, Matt sat next to me. His hand was on my thigh, as his other hand was holding onto a red cup, really tight.

''Having fun?'' I asked, mumbling under my breath. He nodded, placing a soft kiss on my cheek. ''I really want a beer.'' I pressed my lips together. I stood up and headed to the kitchen. I was expecting he'd walk behind me, but he stayed. I didn't mind at all. I opened the fridge and found one last beer. I took it with no hesitation, in hopes none of the present would actually care. I walked a few steps to place the beer on the counter top, looking for something to open it. But nothing was in sight. I sat on the counter top, tracing my fingers on the cold beer. A few droplets were falling down, leaving marks on my jeans. I heard Matt's laugh from a far and suddenly it hit me. The day where I won't get to hear that laugh, will come. And it will hurt. I started to feel a tiny pain in my chest, as I thought about a million situations and how one day he'll realize I'm not as good as I play to be, or I'm not as fun as I imagine to be. The lump in my throat was making it hard for me to swallow properly. My feet were not touching the ground, dancing and bumping into the wood that was supporting my entire body. I glanced at them, as I try to think about something else. Something that wasn't Matt for that matter. A pair of shoes showed up in my sight, they seemed familiar. The cold touch of a hand caught my attention as he cupped my cheeks, so I could meet his eyes. His eyes had happiness written all over it and it somehow made the lump go away. He was happy.

''Is everything okay?''

''Sit with me.'' I grabbed his hand, and then he sat next to me. My head made its way to his shoulder and we stayed like that for a couple minutes. Victor came to barge in, with no rude intentions.

''Sorry,'' He walked to the fridge. ''I just wanted a beer.'' I looked at mine, still not opened.

''Here,'' I handed it to him. ''Have this one,'' He grabbed it, offering me a friendly smile. ''It's the last one, so enjoy it.'' He chuckled and mouthed the word 'thank you', he left us.

''Is everything okay Lily?'' A sigh escaped my lips, I could feel my knees trembling. I wanted to speak up, because as the couple we were, he had every right to know what was going on in my mind.

''Matt,'' I looked at him. ''Is this thing real?''

''Us?'' I nodded. ''Of course. Lily, listen,'' He grabbed my hand. I slightly jumped at the coldness of his skin. ''I mean no harm to you. I love you and I like you and you are fun and beautiful and smart and everything a guy can hope for. I know you won't cheat on me or break my heart, isn't that what almost everybody wants? Someone loyal and lovable?'' I started to feel the tears in my eyes forming, he stood up. ''Listen, I know this is real because I feel it. When we kiss, when we hug or even just being next to each other. It gives me sparks,'' He chuckled, looking down at my hands. ''I know it sounds really cliche, but it's how I feel and I hope you feel it too.''

''I do.'' I wrapped him in a hug, my head facing the stove. My legs were around his body and I started to cry. I was holding him even tighter, trying to get a grip of everything that he was. Because even if I wanted an infinite amount of days with him, this was going to end. Something so beautiful and magical, wasn't meant to last. At least not when it came down to me. The most annoying and unlucky girl in the world. The one who always loves too much.

''Stop over thinking, okay?'' He pecked me nose.

''I'm sorry, it's just that,'' I trailed off, taking a deep breath. ''This feels so unreal.''

He hugged me. ''I love you.'' I held him closer to me. I didn't want to let him go. Everything I ever wanted was right here in my arms and all I wanted was for things to stay like that. I wanted the sound of the loud music to keep resounding in our ears, or for Victor to keep talking about his high school memories with Arnold and Matt, or for Carl and Rebecca to keep making out on the couch, or even for my friends to stay where they are seated now. I wanted nothing to change, because we all know what change causes to people's lives. And it scared the crap out of me to even think not spending a whole day with him.