Coming of Age

Yoshiki watched as his twenty one year old daughter went through her coming of age ceremony. He had made sure she looked fabulous, in her deep crimson Kimono, covered in embroidered cherry blossoms, chrysanthemums and cranes. Her hair was gleaming in it's half up, half down updo style. She had, right before his eyes, grown into a beautiful woman. A fact that both made him swell with fatherly pride and also made him want to cry because she wasn't the little girl, that he chased around arenas and made blanket forts with, anymore. She didn't need him for the little things any longer and this brought sadness to his heart.

But he was excited for her next chapter in life and he couldn't wait to see what she would make of herself and what she would become. She was showing some serious writing promise and he wondered if that would ultimately be what she ended up doing. She had always been an imaginative story teller, when they would make up stories for each other. He liked to think he was partly responsible for this, for nurturing her imagination the way he had as she grew.

He looked over beside him, past his mother and saw Niamh wiping her eyes and Zach was actually smiling for once. Gwen and Conal were watching their sister, with wide eyes and huge smiles. After letting everyone nurse their wounds and recover, a year after Yoshiki had moved Stormy out to Japan permanently, he went to work on trying to repair the relationship between Stormy, Niamh and Zach. Stormy did love her half siblings and she had missed them as Gwen had been sending her photos of their brother Conal. He could see Stormy was hurting to miss this, so he had done what he did best. Repaired things. It had taken some time but eventually a tangible although weak peace had been forged between them all once more. It eventually had been nurtured to strength and trust had blossomed again. Things were still tender but so much better than where they were five years ago.

After the ceremony Yoshiki had walked out of the auditorium. He was waiting for Stormy to be released with the other twenty one-ers. When he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked down and found Niamh there. He gave her a civil smile which she returned.

"You did well Yoshiki. You should be proud of her."

"I am. But she's your daughter too Niamh. Don't forget before all of the issues, you were raising her just fine as well."

"I know but I fucked up Yoshiki, in a way no mother should. You picked up the pieces I broke. So, she is the way she is today, largely because of you."

"Then work on it with her Niamh. There's still a chance to do better from now on. It's not too late."