Part 20

The three of us appear backstage in the school hall.

"I can't seem to link up with the guys. Wi-Fi, am I right?" I hear Julie saying on the other side of the curtain.

That can't mean anything good.

"Um, anybody know the Heimlich? Julie's choking." Ugh, this bitch.

I move from behind the curtain and take the microphone from Julie. "Well, if you had the decency to let her finish, you'd know that we have a girl band ready to go." I smirk in Carrie's face. "So if you could just..." I say, shooing her away.

Carrie storms down the steps, dragging nick along with her. Poor guy.

It's then that I notice Dylan standing near the back with Kayla, the both of them looking miserable, though I have to admit he's got it worse. He looks like he hasn't slept in days. Huh, wonder what happened... oh my crap, those boys will be the second death of me.

"Ari! What're you doing?" Julie whispers, glaring at me.

"Just trust me." I answer, spotting a guitar just offstage.

She follows me as I move towards the guitar and pick it up from the stand. "And if I don't trust you?"

"Suck it up."

I sling the strap over my shoulder and quickly check that it's in tune, before making my journal appear in my hands.

"Dude you seriously need to be more careful with that, someone could've seen you." Flynn says, joining us behind the curtains.

"But they didn't." I look up at her before continuing to flip through until I find the right page. "Anyways, you think you can memorise this in about thirty seconds?" I say handing the book to Julie.

"I guess, but-"

"Cool." I turn around to where Dani and Kenley are sitting on the ground. "Alright, just follow my lead. And make sure you come in at the chorus. I should be able to make you guys visible, but not for long."

I turn so that I'm facing the stage. "It's Ciao Adios time."

Every eye in the room is on us as we all get into position and Flynn starts up the music.

(Ari, Julie, All)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Nah.

Ask you once, ask you twice now. There's lipstick on your collar. You say she's just a friend now. Then why don't we call her? So you wanna go home with someone to do all the things you used to do to me. I swear, I know you do.

Used to take me out, in your fancy car and make out in the rain. And when I ring you up, don't know where you are 'til I hear her say your name. Used to sing along, when you played guitar. That's a distant memory. Hope she treats you better than you treated me, ha.

I'm onto you, yeah, you. I'm not your number one. I saw you, with her. Kissing and having fun. If you're giving her all of your money and time, I'm not gonna sit here wasting mine on you, yeah, you. Ciao, adios, I'm done . Ciao adios, I'm done. Ciao adios, I'm done

After three, after four times. Why did I bother? Tell me how many more times. Does it take to get smarter? Don't need to deny the hurt and the lies. And all of the things you did to me. I swear, I know you did.

Now you take her out, in your fancy car. And make out in the rain. And when she rings you up, she know where you are. But I know differently. Now she sings along, when you play guitar. Making brand new memories. Hope you treat her better than you treated me.

I'm onto you, yeah you. I'm not your number one. I saw you, with her kissing and having fun. If you're giving her all of your money and time. I'm not gonna sit here wasting mine on you, yeah, you. Ciao, adios, I'm done. Ciao, adios, I'm done. Ciao, adios, I'm done. If you're giving her all of your money and time. I'm not gonna sit here wasting mine on you, yeah, you. Ciao adios, I'm done.

And now you take her out in your fancy car. And make out in the rain. And when she rings you up. She know where you are. But I know differently. Now she sings along when you play guitar. Making brand new memories. Hope you treat her better than you treated me.

I'm onto you, yeah, you. I'm not your number one. I saw you, with her. Kissing and having fun . If you're giving her all of your money and time. I'm not gonna sit here wasting mine on you, yeah, you . Ciao adios, I'm done. Yeah, ciao adios, I'm done. Ciao adios, I'm, I'm done. If you're giving her all of your money and time. I'm not gonna sit here wasting mine on you, yeah, you. Ciao adios, I'm done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flynn, Julie and I all sit around popping the leftover balloons.

"Hey, at least the whole night wasn't a complete bust." Flynn says, trying to lighten the mood.

Julie pops her balloon right next to my ear, making me jump. "I can never show my face at this school again."

"That's what we get for depending on boys." I butt in, elbowing Julie in the side.

Julie sighs before popping another balloon. "I don't know if I should be mad or worried. They're ghosts. I don't know what kind of trouble they can get into."

"Be mad. Be very mad."

Flynn stands up, pulling the keys from her pocket. "I'mma get us some ice cream from the cafeteria. Fools gave me the keys. We can crash at my place and forget about this whole nightmare."

"I'd better go and supervise." I add, standing up to follow her.

"Get me two... of everything." Julie calls, and with that we leave the hall.

Was it a bad idea to leave her alone in there? Probably. Can I be bothered to go back? Nope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

After piling our ice creams with everything we can possibly fit on them, Flynn and I make our way back to the hall.

We push open the double doors, looking around for Julie and guess who decided to show up.

"Oi, who's she talking to?" Flynn asks, nudging me with her elbow.

"Jesus."

"Wait, really?"

"No." I whisper back, handing her my ice cream.

Julie shakes her head. "This was a mistake."

"You mean the school dance, right?" Luke says, taking a step forward.

"No, I mean joining a band with you guys."

Wow. I mean, I knew she was upset about this, but...

"Julie!" Flynn calls, chasing after her. I do the same, shoving Luke's shoulder as I pass.

"Ari..."

"You guys are assholes." I say to them, before following Julie and Flynn out to the carpark.