Part 29

I close the front door behind me, before walking into the kitchen to grab some food.

I must've opened the fridge at least five times until I finally decide to pull out the leftovers from this morning's breakfast.

And just to be clear, when I open and reopen the fridge, I'm not checking to see if something's magically appeared. I'm checking to see if my standards have lowered enough to eat what's actually there.

As I open the top drawer to get a fork, I notice a piece of paper sitting on the countertop.

'I might be stuck working late, so your aunt Tia will come by later with dinner – Ray'

This seems like something straight out of one of those cliché 'high school' sorta books. Like seriously, we have phones. Texting is a thing.

I take the food to my room, eating on the way up because multitasking, and set down my school bag.

And when I say 'set down', it's more like a 'dumped wherever the hell there isn't already shit covering the floor'.

I change out of the black dress from dance, and into jeans and an oversized shirt.

Just as I finish getting dressed someone walks int through the door.

"Dude! What the fuck?"

"Um, sorry. Are you busy?" Luke says, looking down and messing with the bottom of his jacket.

"Yes." No.

"Oh, right. Well do you think you could spare a minute? Maybe?" He asks, almost nervously.

"Why?" I question, a little more aggressively than I intended.

"I just- I found something." He stammers. "Figured you might be interested."

When I don't answer, he continues. "Please. It'll only take a second."

"Fine." I give in.

I quickly pull back my hand as he reaches for it. "I'm perfectly capable of doing this whole teleporting thing on my own."

"Right, yes. You are. Um, it's just over in the studio."

Without another word, I poof to the studio, hanging back behind the couch and as far from Luke as possible.

He swiftly climbs up the ladder into the loft, and comes back down with a small box, covered in dust. "I was going through some of the stuff in the loft and..."

"Sweet baby Jesus." I mutter as he lifts off the lid.

It's full of papers and cd's covered in writing.

These are all the songs we wrote back when we, you know, had a heartbeat.

"There was one in particular..." He says, flipping through the first few until he finds a sheet of paper with lyrics and chords scribbled all over it.

I start wishing I had never agreed to come down her as I realised what it is.

As mush as I wish I was wrong, the words 'Perfect Harmony' written in bold across the top say otherwise.

"I found the recording with it." Luke says, picking up an old disk and walking over to the cd player.

"What are you doing?" I ask as he turns his back to me.

Suddenly the room is filled with the sound of a guitar.

"Nonononono-" I protest as Luke makes his way over to me.

"Just this once. Please?" He asks.

Before I can answer, he starts singing along to the music. "Step into my world. Bittersweet love story about a girl."

He reaches his hands out, gently brushing them against mine.

"Shook me to the core. Voice like an angel, I've never heard before."

I roll my eyes in a playful way before joining in.

"Here in front of me. Shining so much brighter than I have ever seen." I sing, joining my palms to his.

"Life can be so mean. But when he goes, I know he doesn't leave." He spins me around, before I lean into him. He dips me, then spinning me out again.

"The truth is finally breaking through." We sing together, breaking apart and going with our instincts as we continue to dance.

"Two worlds collide when I'm with you." I go around Luke, who is down on his knee, moving to look over his shoulder as he spins me in towards him.

"Our voices rise and soar so high." He stands up, lifting me into the air. I raise my arms, still singing along and getting lost in the music. I finally let my arms rest on his shoulders

"We come to life when we're in Perfect Harmony." He slowly lets me down, interlocking our fingers as I stand in front of him.

"Woah-oh-oh, woah-oh-oh-oh. Perfect Harmony. Woah-oh-oh, woah-oh-oh-oh." He lifts our arms over my head, spinning my so my back is against his chest.

"We say we're friends." I sing softly, raising my hands up, his trailing my arms to interlock our fingers once more.

"We play pretend." He sings back, bringing our arms out to the sides.

"You're more to me." I sing as Luke wraps our arms around the both of us.

"We create." He whispers gently.

"A perfect Harmony." We finish together, as he turns me back around to face him.

I can't but stare into his eyes. Greyish blue, like the ocean after a storm. Beautiful, yet dangerous. And they belong to this boy. The one I fell so hard for.

We jump apart at the sound of someone clapping at the studio door.

I look to see Alex and Reggie standing there, jaws dropped.

And just to be clear, Reggie is the one clapping.

"I get that we got the whole 'lovebirds' thing going on, but that is still my sister." Alex says, giving Luke a look, almost like a warning.

As if being snapped back into reality, I realise what just happened.

"I gotta go." I say, hurriedly poofing out of the studio and straight to Dani and Kenley.