Brief Moment

NATHANIEL

"Do you need anything else before I leave you, sir?" My secretary asks me in a kind voice. I don't know how she hasn't run away or quit this job. She's definitely nervous around me but she says she isn't scared.

"How is your mother?" I ask her instead of answering her question. One of the reasons I hired her was because during the interview she showed experience and her mother was sick with cancer.

She seemed to be surprised by my question and sighs. "She is a lot better. The chemotherapy has helped her. I hope she can leave the hospital soon. She has always been a resilient woman and doesn't want to die in an uncomfortable hospital bed. Her words not mine." She whispers, giggling. I smile and nod as I listen to her talk.

"I'm glad to hear that. Now, you should get home. I don't want you getting any wrinkles worrying about her and working for too long. It's very bad for your health." I reply, shooing her away with my hand, playfully.

"Oh, alright Mr.Night. I hope you follow your own advice as well." She nods respectfully then leaves me alone in my office. I can hear her gathering her stuff and sorting through the last of paperwork.

I grab ahold of my cane and with difficultly I stand up and slowly limp to the door. I'm getting worse and worse. I wish I had never gone to that stupid doctor. All I ever wanted was to die of a gun shot, torture, or something along those lines. It turns out I'm dying of a disease that can't be cured.

"Sir, are you ok? Maybe you should sit down." My secretary, Bella says in a concerned tone. "Did you take your medication today as prescribed?"

"What's the point anymore? I'm going to die in a few months anyway!" I groan as I lean on my cane so my legs don't give out.

"Is there anyone I can call to take you home? Any friends or family that would like to be by your side?" She whispers as she helps me into the wheelchair I had in my office in case of emergencies.

"Yes, my bodyguard can pick me up. Can you get me my phone? I have a few calls I need to make." I ask. She nods with a small smile and gives me my phone.

"Here you are, sir. I will contact your bodyguard and they can help you get home." She says handing over my cell phone.

"Thank you." I stare at my contacts in sadness and fear. I hope my son learns to forgive me for what I've done. I press the call button, placing it to my ear in hopes of hearing her voice.

"Что вы хотите, чтобы вы не нанесли удар в спину?!" She snaps angrily into the phone. (What do you want you backstabbing no good piece of crap?!)

"Hello to you to, Kira. How are you?" I chuckle. My smile doesn't reach my eyes though because of the pain.

"Hmph, fine. Our son is ruining his chance with his girl just like you did. I hope you are proud that he's just like you. I hope Ida's still alive and giving you a pain in the ass!" I growl, getting agitated with her temper.

"I don't know why I called you. You were always the jealous type. It's not my fault we were forced into marriage. You knew I loved her. Yet you talk as if I'm to blame for your life!"

"Oh don't you be playing the jealous card with me bozo! I loved someone else too and once you found out you killed him!" She shouts back so loud my secretary was looking nervous.

"Don't over exaggerate, woman. I only did that because he had gotton you pregnant with my bastard son. I thought I could love him but he's gone off the rails since he got shot that night. He's worse than me or Nicholas. He deals with trafficking and things you can't comprehend with that little brain of yours." I argue, feeling the urge to pace the floor.