Death's Door

VANESSA

FLASHBACK

"Nes, I need you to go to your room and stay there. Can you do that?" Nicky asks me in a tone I'd never heard him use before. I studied his face and he looked conflicted about something.

"But Zyzy said he'd sing to me tonight. You know how I hate being alone when I go to bed, Nicky." I whine like the annoying 8 year old I am. I hated the dark and it was already starting to storm outside. The thunder scared me because it reminded me of guns going off. Which on the downside happened quite a lot in our house hold. 

"He can't make it tonight, you know that. Father is training with him. Nes, it's about time for you to grow up and realize the world doesn't revolve around you!" Nicky says raising his voice. He's never yelled at me like this before.

"Is Papa going to kill mommy?" I whimper. I had been wanting to make cupcakes with Mommy earlier today and had heard Papa yell at her in his office. I knew Papa didn't like mommy a lot but I was sure they stilled loved each other. 

Nicky looks at me with sadness and uncertainty. "Why are you asking me that Nes? Father would never harm mother." Liar! I thought to myself but didn't want to be that rude to my big bro. Nicky could get angry easily like Papa and it was scary to see. 

"I-I heard him yelling at her earlier. He said he was going to kill her and that Zyrian was dead to him." I reply biting my bottom lip and shaking from fear of the thunderstorm. 

Nicky's eyes widened and he looked shocked. "Alonzo! I need to go, can you watch over Nessa for me?!" He yells running out of the room in a hurry. I hope he saves mommy from Papa. 

"Sure dude! Don't worry about it."  I hear Alonzo yell back then Nick left the room exchanging a few words with Alonzo as he runs off to the other side of the mansion where Mommy and Daddy usually spend there time doing knows what. When I'm older, I'm going to find out what! 

Alonzo walks in and immediately gives me a cute boyish grin. Don't tell anyone but I've had a crush on him since as long as I can remember. He might be best friends with Nicky but he always made me laugh. 

"Alonzo!" I squeal in joy and rush up to him giving him a great big hug. He hugs me back but not as tight as I wanted him to. 

"Hey, Van. Look, I just want to tell you now that whatever life throws at you I want you to throw it right back in life's face and say not today you fottuto pezzo di spazzatura! Do you understand me?" He says looking strait into my eyes with a very serious look on his face.

I gasp at his foul language and punch him in the stomach. "That's a naughty thing to say, Al! But I get the gist of what you are trying to tell me. I guess my life isn't going to get any easier from now on...is it?" I ask looking down at my feet nervously. 

"No, it's not princess. We live in a dangerous world filled with horrible selfish people. We just have to have hope that some day it will get better. I may not always be here for you but I want you to know you are by best friend in the whole wide world. I love you, Vanessa." Tears fill my eyes and I hug him tight. 

"I thought Nicky was your BFF?" I smile in confusion not knowing he liked me like I did him. Of course I again was young and an innocent little girl back then. 

"You come first, always. Don't tell him I told you that though, he'd kill me." Alonzo responds with a smirk and his signature  wink. I laugh at his antics then jump and shake at the sound of thunder cracking in the dense dark clouds.