C2: The lady who became a baby

“Waah?”

Calliope was surprised and let out a cry. But no matter how she tried to speak, all that came out of her mouth was a baby’s “waah waah” sounds. 

Flustered, she tried to turn her head and look around her, but she couldn’t. She couldn’t even tell if her eyes were or weren’t open. A maid who had been bringing in hot water commented. 

“Oh my, the baby must be very healthy. Just look at how she cried out the moment she was born. This is a very rare case.”

Usually, infants had to be patted on the butt a couple of times before they began to cry out. 

“It’s a beautiful miss!”

“Congratulations, Countess Rustichel!”

The midwife who had been carrying Calliope turned to the mother of the child

“How is the baby?”

As soon as she could speak, she asked about her child. 

“She’s a healthy one.”

The midwife looked at infant’s fingers, toes, checking if she had ten of each, and after an inspection of the overall body, responded as such. At the countess’s beckoning, the midwife placed the child into her arms. The mother’s tired face brighten up like a ray of sunshine upon seeing the babe.

“My baby……”

The countess’s smiled and cried. With a trembling hand, she stroked the baby’s nose. 

“Oh my, Sir Count, you cannot enter yet….!”

The door was thrown open, and a man hurriedly entered the room. A man that seemed as large as a water buffalo seemed to fill up the room as soon as he appeared. As he turned and looked at the woman holding the child, his eyes brightened. No matter how many times his wife had given birth, this sight always brought tears to his eyes.

After having gotten his fill of looking at his wife, the father seemed to hold in his desire to touch the baby and stared at it instead. 

“You’ve suffered, my dear. How is the child?”

“She’s a healthy baby girl.”

“A daughter……!”

Their family already had two sons. Finally, to their household that seemed to only be son-rich, they had been given a daughter. And the count had wanted a daughter from the start. 

“Thank you, thank you.”

The deeply moved count dropped consecutive kisses onto his wife’s cheek. 

“Waaah!”

The infant cried out, and the two parents’ eyes became wet at the sight. No matter how many times they saw it, the birth of their children was so very touching. The servants surrounding the happy couple looked at them with soft smiles. 

“The infant’s cries are clear and refreshing to the ears. I’ve never heard such a beautiful cry from a baby.”

At the count’s words, no one thought in contempt that a baby’s cry wouldn’t sound good. On the other hand, they nodded in agreement. Because this noble family cherished its servants and treated them well.