4

Harry poured his heart and soul into the musical production. He wanted it to be a wonderful experience for the students involved in it, and it gave him the perfect excuse to avoid thinking about one certain Louis Tomlinson.

He never knew him in high school. He just saw what everyone else saw. Louis was cute, loud, and funny. That's what he had found out, watching from a distance. He always was the center of everyone's attention. The girls flocked around him and the guys looked up to him. He was the leader.

He had been envious about it, how popular Louis was. How easy life seemed for him, while he was the outcast. Knowing that Louis was closeted back then shed new light. He had been struggling, surely scared that someone would find out that he was gay. Harry went through his fair share of struggles as well. Being the only openly gay kid at school hadn't been fun but now he was glad that he had been that brave, imagining how hard it would have been to deny that part of himself.

The thing was that Louis wasn't just easy on the eye, he was kind and funny and sweet and Harry couldn't help it. He became this shy, blushing, blabbering mess whenever he was around him. Louis made him nervous.

He was deep in thoughts when he walked to the teacher's lounge for lunch, not really paying attention to his surroundings. He smashed into someone and would have fallen on his butt if that person hadn't grabbed his shoulders to steady him.
"Won't! Easy there Styles." Louis said, sounding amused.

Harry immediately blushed and looked down at his shoes.
"Sorry, I..ehm...didn't see you there."

"I know I'm a tad shorter than you but I didn't think I was invisible." Louis chuckled. He still held Harry's shoulders in a firm grip.

Harry turned crimson red.
"You're not!"

"Heading for lunch?" Louis asked with a friendly smile and he finally let go of Harry's shoulders.

"Yeah, uhm, you?" Harry questioned.

"I am in a short while. I need to take a wee." Louis answered.

"See you later." Harry answered awkwardly and took off. He could feel Louis's eyes in the back of his neck as he hurried to the teacher's lounge.

He had merely started eating before Louis joined him at the table.
"So how are the musical going?"

"Great! Aron is spectacular. The others as well. It's so much fun! Zayn and some art students are helping out with the decor. It looks amazing." Harry said, sounding happy and excited. He had no problem talking to Louis as long as the subject was work-related.

"You're a great teacher Harry. The kids are lucky to have you." Louis complimented softly.

The way Louis said his name with that distinct northern accent made his stomach flutter.
"Thanks! So are you."

They small talked for a while before the rest of the guys joined them at the table.
"First game of the season tomorrow. Are you nervous Louis?" Liam asked.

"Nervous and excited at the same time." Louis smiled.

"We'll all be there." Niall said and bumped his elbow in Harry's side.

"We are? Oh, of course we'll be there." Harry said.

"Great! The game starts at four." Louis smiled.

They talked about their weekend plans. Zayn tried to convince them all to go to a new club that just opened a week from now. They weren't hard to enlist. Niall, Liam, and Harry immediately agreed. Zayn turned to Louis.
"You too!"

"Yeah, I'll go if you're all okay with that." Louis smiled.

They assured him that they were.
"Great, my place next Saturday, six o'clock for pre-drinks and to get ready for a night on the town." Zayn said with a grin.

"Zayn likes to fix our hair and stuff." Niall explained to Louis.

"That's half the fun! Honestly, Niall, you would end up in one of your golf shirts otherwise." Zayn chuckled.

"I got style!" Niall protested.

"The only one with an impeccable sense for fashion is Harry. The rest of you need work." Zayn said.

Louis listened to them bickering with an amused smile on display. He was glad that they included him in their group. He liked all of them. They had different personalities but they fit together. Harry was the one he hadn't figured yet.

It was when he heard them cheer on him and the team the next day that he knew that he had made friends for life. When they won the game 2-1 he couldn't be more proud. He had been nervous about coaching the football team. Being a gym teacher was one thing, he got that covered. being a football coach as well was new territory.

In the week that followed he tried to connect with all the guys one on one. He wanted to get to know them on a personal level instead of in a group. Niall was the easiest one. There wasn't a bad bone in his body. He was easy going and they bonded over a bucket of chicken an afternoon after work. Niall's conversation topics were food, golf, and Harry.

Louis had no interest in golf but two out of three wasn't a bad start. He tried to discretely pump Niall for information about Harry and he caught up with him fast.
"As long as you don't hurt him you and I are on good terms."

"I have no intention of hurting him." Louis promised.

Niall settled for that. Liam was a little more laid back but when he came and asked if he could use the gym after school some times Louis immediately agreed and joined him. They lifted weights together, Louis silently cursing the length he went to make friends. He might be the gym teacher but working out had never been his thing. It was worth it though. Liam opened up but he also told him not to hurt Harry. Louis was starting to get a little offended.

Zayn was the hardest one to befriend but when he found him outside smoking he joined in and they bonded over a cigarette.

Harry on the other hand was a hard nut to crack. It was almost like he avoided him and when they talked Harry was shy. Louis made it his mission to get him to open up and be himself around him.