2 - Shoot to Thrill

"You'll drop me off then?" Steve calls to the front of the quinjet. He sits across from Jessica, who is holding onto her seatbelt tightly.

"That's the plan," Natasha yells back. "I think the element of surprise will be our best bet."

Jessica agrees with her, but it's not really her place. Plus, it's easier for her to think of other things while they're in the air. Her fear only becomes apparent when they hit a rough patch in the night air.

"Not a fan of heights, huh?" Steve asks her a moment later.

"I guess not," she replies. "It's dumb, I know."

He shakes his head, "Everyone has a fear."

Jessica can't help the look she gives him. Ever since she started, she has heard all sorts of things about her phobia that have not only been unhelpful, but also uncalled for. She can handle herself, but to hear someone not joke about it the first chance they get... it's honestly refreshing.

"We're here," Natasha interrupts them before Jessica can respond.

She looks away awkwardly, not realizing how long she's been staring. Steve puts his helmet on and picks up his shield when the hangar drops.

He jumps from the ship as they hover over the ground. After Natasha closes everything up again, she peeks around her chair to where Jessica is at. "You alright?"

"Never been better," she replies sarcastically. "Is it safe to come up yet?"

"Just one second."

The Quinjet comes to a halt in the sky, giving Jessica enough time to release her harness and make her way towards the front of the jet. Below them, Loki stands before a crowd in golden armor. He smiles triumphantly despite Steve standing before him and the defensive ship in the sky. Natasha flicks a switch, triggering the machine gun.

"Loki, drop the weapon and stand down," Natasha warns him through the external speaker.

Loki loads his scepter to fire a shot at them. Natasha maneuvers the ship sideways fast enough to miss the blast, but the movement also throws Jessica against the far wall.

"That was a bit close," Natasha releases a shaky breath. "Jess?"

Jessica is too busy spitting off her own string of bad words to pay any attention to Natasha. Reaching up, she notices that a minor scrape on her forehead is starting to bleed.

"Just tell me Cap's got him," she huffs, looking back out to the square below.

One glance at the scene proves otherwise.

"This guy's all over the place," Natasha mutters, letting up on the target stick when she realizes there's nothing they can do but wait. "Rogers is pretty good, don't you think, Jess?"

"This is my first time working with him," she admits. "I like his attitude."

"A gentleman," she points out casually. "Rare find these days."

"Are you looking?"

Natasha shakes her head, "You, on the other hand—"

She's quick to interrupt her before they can make the co-pilot uncomfortable, "Am unavailable."

"That's not true—"

"Natasha—"

Loki pins Steve down and the conversation stops. They quickly become entangled in battle again, which proves that Natasha is exactly right; there's no obvious shot to take him down. It's almost like he's putting on a show.