4 - Turning Tables

Jessica stands outside the detention center with Natasha. The red head had been their first line of persuasion against Loki, but more drastic measures have been requested.

"He's cunning and eager to show his hand," Natasha warns her. "Something about him..."

"He wants to be here," she finishes. "I know. I noticed that on the jet."

"He's," she wavers, not exactly sure how to say it, "good at provoking people—bringing them to their breaking point. Prepare yourself, Jess. He knows what Clint knows."

On Jessica's side of things, there is quite a bit of information that he could have possibly digressed, but not enough to completely compromise her. Not like Natasha, which must be where the warning comes from.

"There's something about a strong woman that gets a person talking," Loki says as soon as she enters.

He looks at her like they've known each other for centuries, but she had only just met him on the Quinjet yesterday. Well, 'met him' is kind of a loose way of putting it.

"Do you plan on talking then?" She asks, rhetorically.

"You must be Jessica Torres," he concludes. "Agent Intel."

She doesn't falter, "I don't go by that name anymore."

"Oh, I know, but why is past my knowledge. Even Barton didn't have an answer." He leans towards the glass curiously, "You do."

Jessica rolls her eyes. If Loki wants to play the superior being, then she'll use it to her advantage.

"We don't have to talk about that," she mutters, mocking discomfort.

"But we should," he presses, taking another step towards the glass. "It's your origin story. Well, not exactly."

Jessica doesn't know what he means by that, so she says, "Explain."

"Not," He chuckles evilly and holds up his finger, "yet. My accomplices were quite clear about your fate, Jessica Torres. Your life is not mine to take."

"And what about all the people you've killed to get here? Who gave you permission to take their lives?"

"I don't need permission," he yells, slamming his hand against the glass. "I am a god! I create my own destiny."

She watches as his face contorts into a mischievous smirk. Another taunt, she suspects, and she's nearly ready to resort to her far more affective option.

But then, he says, "You humans wouldn't understand. Not all of you, anyway."

The thoughts click together in her mind faster than she can process them. Something Loki said to Natasha only moments before and now this... For someone completely full of himself, he sure does spend a lot of time thinking about other people's mistakes.

Which in turn has led them to making theirs.

"You're not trying to provoke us," she mutters, repeating the warning Natasha gave her, "you're trying to provoke him."

Loki falters, "Who?"

It's the confirmation she needs. Jessica taps her earpiece and spins towards the door, "Where is Dr. Banner right now?"

"The laboratory," a communications agent responds. "Agent Torres?"

She had paused for only a second to look back at Loki. The only way to be certain is to see his thoughts, but the look on his face is enough. She continues, "He's planning to provoke the Hulk. Make sure Banner doesn't move, I'm on my way."