10 - Progress

A whole year flies by before Jessica's eyes.

It isn't long before Washington DC becomes somewhat of a home to her. Fury had always kept her moving for her safety before the battle in New York, but now the world knows her face. Even if her powers remain confidential, a different type of target has been placed on her back as an Avenger.

So, he keeps her there, as well as Steve and soon-to-be Natasha. Jessica has been waiting for her friend to arrive for months. After being compromised by Loki, Natasha and Barton followed protocol and went dark for a while. They will be cleared to return sometime soon, with her being stationed in DC and him in New York.

It was difficult for Jessica to be without her friends for so long, but Steve kept her busy with training and work, so there wasn't much time to miss them.

Speaking of training.

"Keep your eyes on me," Steve orders, "it'll help you focus."

Doubtful, she thinks, raising her fists again.

He throws his fist towards her bicep, but she lets it hit her. The position allows her to wrap her hand around his wrist and twist his arm behind his back. He doesn't struggle as she holds him there for a second.

A plane engine roars in her ears.

"Jess..."

She releases him, "Sorry. My mind wandered."

"It's okay," he assures her. "Again."

Jessica focuses on Steve, just like they've practiced. She watches his movements. The way his shirt stretches against his abs when he throws a punch. The soft creaking of the floorboards as he shifts his weight. The way he...

He's not the enemy. He's not the enemy.

The side of his foot aims for her shin, but she jumps out of the way. His hand catches her waist and pulls her into his grasp. Jessica struggles as he wraps his arms around hers to keep her from moving. A small wave of power is stollen, but no picture appears.

Instead of using his own strength against him, Jessica taps out. A chill runs up her arms as he releases her and the cool air from the room hits her.

"Better. That was great," he says, heading to the bench to grab his water. "I know it's taken some time, but you've made great progress, Jess."

"All thanks to you," she responds.

As they take their positions again, Steve says, "Keep talking. Let's see if you can balance your focus."

Her nerves spike a little at hearing that, but she focuses her thoughts anyway.

He's not the enemy. He's not the enemy.

"I was on an assignment the other day," Steve begins when she doesn't say anything, "that made me think of you."

Kick. Another roar of the engine.

Jessica shakes her head at how easily his words distract her.

"Oh, yeah?" She says after she's recovered. "What about?"

"There was a young girl we rescued. Barely even a teenager," he recalls. "Our hostiles were still in play, but she wouldn't get on the plane. She was stubborn."

"Ah, and that's what made you think of me?" Jessica laughs, catching one of his punches.

"Well, yes, but it was also something else."

His fist heads towards her bicep, but she dodges it. Her fingers wrap around his wrist and pulls him forward with more force than she intends to use. Before he can fall, however, he grabs her shoulders to steady himself.