16 - The Kill List

After learning about HYDRA's plan, Steve is quick to order the crew back to the car. The destination is the Triskelion.

Jessica sits in the back with Natasha and Sitwell. He is squished between them, but since Jessica isn't bothering to control her powers, he leans heavily towards the redhead. Every now and then, Natasha pushes him towards her just to freak him out.

"HYDRA doesn't like leaks!" He hisses after a rather gruesome picture appears before their eyes.

"So why don't you try sticking a cork in it," Sam replies sarcastically.

"We're running low on time," Jessica taps her fingers nervously on the window. "Fifteen hours. Sixteen at the most."

"I know," Steve nods, clearing his throat before divulging the plan. "We'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the helicarriers directly."

"What?! Are you crazy?" Sitwell unsurprisingly exclaims, "That is a terrible, terrible idea—"

The roof above them caves in as something lands on it. A hole is punched through the back windshield, and Agent Sitwell's body is pulled through it. They watch helplessly as he's thrown into incoming traffic, and Jessica winces when his terrified screams fall silent just as the frightened horn of a semi-truck rings through the air. She doesn't have much time to react, however, as shots are being fired at them from above.

Natasha dives into Steve's lap as the leather on her seat splits from the bullets. Jessica throws herself into the woman's previous spot when the metal hand shatters her window next.

Steve puts the car in park, skidding them to a stop. The man above them falls over the hood and onto the street, but he lands expertly by digging his steel fingers into the concrete.

"The Winter Soldier," Jessica breathes, catching a full view of him now that the car has completely stopped.

She pulls the gun Natasha brought her from her waistband and takes aim, but another vehicle slams into them at full force from the back. The Winter Soldier waits patiently as they are pushed straight towards him. He flips onto the car again.

The metal arm scoops down to shatter a part of the front windshield and rips out the steering wheel. Sam curses loudly.

The soldier breaks through the window beside Jessica next, catching her arm. He latches onto her like he's about to pull her out too, but she fires her gun directly above her, which forces him to let go.

Natasha yells her name over the wind. Their attacker tears off Jessica's entire passenger door this time. He takes ahold of her shoulder and throws her from the car.

If Sam wasn't on the breaks, she probably would not have survived the landing. She rolls on the pavement into incoming traffic just as she did the first time the Winter Soldier attacked her, but this street is far busier. The incoming vehicles swerve out of the way or crash into each other to avoid her.

The Winter Soldier continues attacking the car, but she can't see it now. She groans loudly as her muscles tense in pain. A few yards away, her friends escape by skidding across the pavement on a car door.

Sam lands only feet from her. He knows better than to try to help her up, so he calls her name instead. In the distance, the Winter Soldier aims and fires his grenade launcher at Natasha and Steve.

Jessica looks up just in time. Steve throws Natasha out of the way and holds up his shield. The explosion sends him flying into a car and over the bridge. She feels herself try to scream for him, but no sound comes out.

"Jessica, come on!" Sam grunts, his hands hovering over her.

She somehow gets to her feet without letting him touch her. Her fingers clasp her gun as the newly appeared HYDRA agents open fire. She ducks behind a turned car with Sam.