7 - The Battle Cry

They run in the direction of the tower. Clint managed to crash them almost a block away, but it doesn't matter. The Chitauri have already started spreading down the streets.

Jessica skids to a stop when Steve does, almost running into him. They all look towards the sky, noticing more movement on the other side of the portal.

"What the..." she mumbles at the sight.

A giant Chitauri Leviathan comes through, heading straight towards them. It hovers above the street, moving slowly to allow for a hundred or so Chitauri troops to fly from its back, to the buildings beside them.

"Stark, are you seeing this?" Steve asks through the earpiece.

Tony answers immediately, "I'm seeing, still working on believing. Where's Banner? Has he shown up yet?"

"Banner?"

"Just keep me posted."

They've been spotted and rapid fire rains on them as a result. Natasha, Clint, and Jessica run to take cover behind an abandoned taxi cab while Steve takes their attackers out with his shield.

There's another explosion in the opposite direction and they watch as Loki flies over the street in one of the alien chariots. He drops explosives on the people and cars below.

"They're fish in a barrel down there," Steve realizes.

An incoming blast is directed at Steve's head, and he ducks out of the way. His shield is big enough to cover him and Jessica, who just happens to be right beside him.

Natasha stands, pulling both of the guns from her holsters to fire back at them. She presses herself down against the car again, "We got this. It's good. Go."

Steve glances at Clint, "You think you can hold them off?"

A group of Chitauri land down the road from them, inching forward slowly.

"Captain," Clint clicks the trigger on his bow, snapping an arrow into place, "It would be my genuine pleasure."

He shoots it in the direction of one of the aliens, hitting it square in the head. Jessica leaps over to another flipped vehicle, using it to cover her as she shoots a few of the soldiers. When she turns around again, Steve is gone.

She returns to firing, even confronting a few when they make it past her bullets. Jessica shoots them, making quick contact as they die to boost her own energy levels. It's weird to make contact with anything after not utilizing her abilities for so long, but it's even weirder that she's stealing from literal aliens.

Down the street a bit, she notices a bus with people in it being slowly surrounded by Chitauri soldiers.

"Hawkeye," she yells over the sound of her own gun, "I think there's people in there!"

He follows her gaze. Instead of waiting for him, she dodges an incoming alien as she charges towards the bus. With Clint's help, they're able to take care of the surrounding Chitauri quickly.

"Don't be afraid. We're here to help," she alerts the frightened people.

As she's not supposed to touch anyone, Jessica sets to work on the bus door. In the meantime, Clint lifts some of the smaller children through the broken window and out onto the street.

Natasha guards them as they work, firing in the opposite direction at the incoming aliens. Jessica, who has had no success with the mechanics of the door, resorts to slamming her body against it. It shifts slightly, allowing enough room for her fingers to pry it open.