Chapter 1

My whole body was aching and my eyes felt so hard to open. Through my eyelids, I could see a bright light. It felt like my body was laid on a soft material, so I moved my fingers. I could feel the cold fabric underneath them as I stroked it softly. Curiosity got the best of me, hence I tried very hard to open my stubborn eyes. They blinked and squinted as the first thing I perceived was the bright white ceiling. Where was I?

*•°*•°*•°*•°*•°*•°*

   "Sabrina, let's go to the beach!"

   "What? Right now?"

   "Yeah, we wanted to celebrate your birthday there."

   "My birthday was yesterday, Mum."

   "I know. That's why we wanted to make it up to you. We were so busy yesterday that we didn't go out like we usually did. So, what do you say?"

   "Umm... Let's not waste our time and let's just go!"

   My mother, Wendy and my stepfather, Michael were seated at the front while I was sprawled out at the back seat as we headed to our destination, the beach. My 14th birthday was actually yesterday, but they still wanted to celebrate it with me. I didn't care, anyway, because as long as they stayed by my side, I couldn't be happier.

   BANG! CRASH!

   I was woken up by the loud sounds and the feeling like I was being thrown forwards, but I ended up hitting the front seat. And something also was prodding my body. Opening my eyes, I gasped as I saw shards of glass sticking on my right arm and the blood pouring out from the cuts. I cried out in pain.

   "Mum..."

   Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see my mother lay motionless. There were blood everywhere - on her face, her body, on the mirror and on the dashboard. I also noticed Michael's eyes slowly open, so I called out his name.

   "Sab...."

   He tried to stay awake, but he lost as he slowly closed his eyes and stayed limp on the driver seat.

   "No, no, no! Wake up! Please!" I screamed and cried. I wanted to move forwards, but my body was hurting so much. I was in an excruciating pain.

   I didn't want to fall asleep. No! Stay awake! Although my brain told me to keep my eyes open, my heart told me otherwise. I was in pain and felt so tired right now. And that was where and why I lost it.

*•°*•°*•°*•°*•°*•°*

   "Sabrina?"

   I blinked my eyes when I felt a presence in front of me. There was a doctor smiling warmly at me.

   "How are you feeling?"

   I ignored her. What a stupid question. Did I really need to answer that? Did she really want the answer which was quite obvious to the two of us? Of course I wasn't okay. I just got into a pretty bad accident and I was alone, without my ─

   Mum...

   "Hey," the doctor stroked my shoulder gently as I cried. "Do you know why you're here?"

   I didn't answer her again. Instead, I wiped the streaming tears off my face. I wanted to ask her where my mother and stepfather were, but something stopped me.