Chapter 4

"Do you know why my mother didn't want me to live with you guys?"

   I kept reliving that night when I asked Gabriel that question. I hoped that I would get a reasonable answer that would satisfy me, but he only replied:

   "Your mother might have had her own reasons."

   Yeah, she had her own reasons.

   Reasons? My mother only told me one. And it made me uneasy. She used to tell me that she didn't want me to use or spend money recklessly and with bad purposes. She taught me to be modest, humble and to treat people with kindness. I also heard her whisper something back then that confused me. She said that she didn't want me to end up being like my father and siblings. What were they like now? I knew that my father was wealthy and my other siblings got the benefit. But, I didn't know yet how their behaviours were like. Just like what most people would say: only time would tell.

   Okay.. I didn't want to waste my time here - at school - by daydreaming. I wanted to pass all the subjects that I took with flying colours.

   Oh, yeah. It had been a week since I went to school. I went to this school, which was new to me, with Daniel and went home sometimes with him and sometimes with our family's driver fetching me. Just like the other schools I had gone to, I didn't make friends quickly. I just talked with students in class or around the school and that was it.

   It was break time and like usual, I ate at the school yard. A few students were here, eating and engaging in a small conversation. Some were glancing at me, who was sitting on a bench and eating a sandwich whilst reading a book. Unfortunately, I accidentally heard them whispering:

   "I heard she is a Zimmermann."

   "Zimmermann? The famous Zimmermann?!"

   "So.... That means, she is Daniel's little sister?"

   "But, she looks a little different from him."

   "Maybe it's because she looks like a nerd."

   I glared at them as they laughed. Thankfully, I had done eating. Meaning, I could get out of this terrible place immediately. I stood up quickly, creating a noise, as I purposely stamped my feet on the concrete ground, showing that I was angry. The girls who were gossiping about me, swivelled their heads towards me and smirked. I ignored them and walked towards the school building.

   As I was walking peacefully by myself, someone ran from behind and shouldered me aside. I stopped and glared at the person's back. Then, a few groups of students walked past me in sync, rushing towards the same direction the previous student who nudged me, had ran off. I was in a complete bewilderment. What was going on?

   Just like I had mentioned before, I was a curious little creature. Hence, I followed them and I was met with a scene that I didn't really expect to ever happen.

   A boy was pinning another boy against the wall while the other students were surrounding them, seemingly cheering and clapping. Were they a bunch of 12-year-old kids? Why did you need to cheer someone else to keep fighting? It was wrong!

   Walking closer, I felt like I knew the bully. That brown hair, that height and that side profile... Wait a second.. I knew why he looked so familiar. It's because he was my brother, Daniel!

   I didn't know what to do, but I knew that I didn't like this. My brother was almost punching another student and it seemed like he was pleased to see him scared and shaking.

   It was just like the last time when I ─

   My thought was cut off when I noticed Daniel colliding his fist with the boy's cheek. Then, he kicked his stomach with his knee. I flinched as I watched it. No one around was bothered enough to help the poor boy. In fact, they were cheering like it was a WWE show.