Chapter 12

"You?"

   "Yes, me. Why?"

   "Why are we in the same group?"

   "I don't know. Ask the teacher."

   "There must be a mistake. I shouldn't be in the same group as ー"

   "Hey, Tim, we're a team! Hahaha ー Eh?"

   The boy stopped laughing and pointed at me.

   "Yes, it's a sign of bad luck."

   I rolled my eyes as he said that. So childish...

   Let's have a rewind first so that we know how I ended up being in the same group with the Timothy Gallagher.

   Actually, our school had a co-curricular activity, which was cleaning the school area as a mutual cooperation with the neighbourhood. They said it was to create a strong bond with the community.

   At first, I was upset because Nicole and I were not in the same group, but then I became happy when I realised Irene was with me. But then.....

   I heard that voice.

   And that aura of sophistication, arrogance and self-assurance.

   I turned around and I noticed how his face turn from confident to aghast as soon as he saw my face.

   No matter how bad I wanted to change group, I couldn't leave Irene behind. Thus, I stayed.

   "Okay, guys! We need to clean the field. Come on, let's go!"

   The leader of the group exclaimed and brought us to the school field, which was really huge and vast. Thankfully, we're not the only group here. There were others as well.

   I looked around for Daniel, but I didn't see him. Perhaps he's assigned at another area of the school. Maybe it's good that he's not here.

   "Sabrina?"

   "Yeah?"

   "Would you help me, please?" Irene grinned sheepishly as she tried to carry a bunch of cleaning tools.

   "Sure!"

   We walked slowly as we're afraid that the things might fall off. It was fine at first, but then some boys decided to fool around and bump onto us, causing a ruckus. It made me even angrier as I noticed that one of the boys was the Timothy Gallagher.

   "What were you doing here?"

   "Are you blind? Couldn't you see that I was trying to carry these things properly before you decided to recklessly bump into me?"

   "Why did you cross here in the first place? There are a lot of spaces around," Timothy emphasised by flailing his arms, gesturing the wide area of the field.

   "Because this is the shortest route to go to Mr. Wilson and we're carrying a lot of things." I spotted Irene trying to avoid the argument and picking up the tools off the ground.

   Timothy opened his mouth to fight back, but his friend stopped him.

   "That's enough, Tim. Let's just help them, okay?"

   Timothy grunted while I turned around to help Irene. I tried to pick up a heavy box despite myself, and failed, causing me to sigh.

   "Let me pick it up. You can't do it because you're weak."

   I felt a presence beside me, so I quickly backed further, realising it was Timothy who said those mean words.

   He picked up the box with ease and walked away, while I rolled my eyes at his back.