What's Behind Trap Door #1?

Chapter 12: What's Behind Trap Door #1?

Claire, Harry, Hermione, and Ron were all out by the Black Lake. They just had their very last exam.

"No more studying," Ron sighed happily, stretching out on the grass.

"Thank Merlin." Claire said.

Claire then saw Harry rubbing his forehead.

"Don't look so cheerful, Harry." Claire teased him.

"Yea, Harry. We've got a week before we find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet." Ron said.

"I wish I knew what this means!" Harry burst out angrily pointing at his forehead. "My scar keeps hurting- it's happened before, but never as often as this."

"Go to Madam Pomfrey." Hermione suggested.

"I'm not ill." Harry said. "I think it's a warning....it means danger's coming..."

"Harry, relax, Hermione's right, the Stone's safe as long as Dumbledore's around. Anyway, we've never had any proof Snape found out how to get past Fluffy. He nearly had his leg ripped off once, he's not going to try it again in a hurry. And Neville will play Quidditch for England before Hagrid lets Dumbledore down." Ron said.

Harry nodded, but he couldn't shake off a lurking feeling that there was something he'd forgotten to do, something important. When he tried to explain this, Hermione said, "That's just the exams. I woke up last night and was halfway through my Transfiguration notes before I remembered we'd done that one."

Harry was positive that this unsettled feeling didn't have anything to do with work, though. He watched an owl flutter toward the school across the bright blue sky, a note clamped in its mouth. Hagrid was the only one who ever sent him letters. Hagrid would never betray Dumbledore. Hagrid would never tell anyone how to get past Fluffy....never.....but-

Harry suddenly jumped to his feet.

"What's wrong, Harry?" Claire asked.

"I've just thought of something. We've got to go and see Hagrid, now." Harry said beginning to walk towards Hagrid's.

Claire, Hermione, and Ron caught up with him.

"Why?" Hermione panted.

"Don't you think it's a bit odd," Harry said, "that what Hagrid wants more than anything else is a dragon, and a stranger turns up who just happens to have an egg in his pocket? How many people wander around with dragon eggs if it's against wizard law? Lucky they found Hagrid, don't you think? Why didn't I see it before?"

Claire suddenly knew what Harry was talking about. "Harry, are you saying whoever gave that egg to Hagrid is the person who's after the Stone?"

"That's exactly what I'm thinking, which is why we need to go to Hagrid's to make sure." Harry said.

They soon arrived at Hagrid's. Hagrid was sitting in an armchair outside his house; his trousers and sleeves were rolled up, and he was shelling peas into a large bowl.

"Hullo," he said, smiling. "Finished yer exams? Got time fer a drink?"

"Yes, please." Ron said, but Harry cut him off.

"No we're in a hurry. Hagrid, I've got to ask you something. You know that night you won Norbert? What did the stranger you were playing cards with look like?"

"Dunno," Hagrid said casually, "he wouldn' take his cloak off."

He saw the four of them look stunned and raised his eyebrows.