Some Things Aren't Meant to be Easy

November 13, 1981

A man and a woman walked along the outskirts of Ottery St. Catchpole in Devon England. It was silent between the two as they walked to their destination. The woman had curly black hair and clear blue eyes. She was holding a baby girl wrapped in a pink blanket. The man next to her had brown hair and brown eyes. The man glanced at the woman with concern.

"This is the right thing to do, Carina." The man said reassuringly.

"Easy for you to say, Doctor!" Carina snapped. "You're used to leaving people! Take your companions for an example. Sometimes I wonder if you think Claire and I are just some companions; companions who you're just waiting to abandon when you have no use for us anymore!"

Carina's words hit the Doctor hard and it hurt that she thought this. He stopped walking and stood in front of her looking into her eyes, which held unshed tears. He placed a hand on each of her shoulders.

"Carina, I hope you don't actually think that. Use your sense. If I truly thought of you as a companion, do you think I would've married you and had a child with you?" The Doctor said, trying to knock sense into her brain.

Carina felt guilt wash over her. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said those things."

"It's alright, Carina." The Doctor said. "I understand you're upset that we have to leave Claire with the Weasleys', but this is the safest place for her. If we're to find the Master and destroy him, it wouldn't be wise to bring along our daughter; especially since he's after her too."

"What if he finds her before we find him, Doctor? We'd be leaving our only daughter defenseless." Carina argued.

"He won't. We're going to find him before he finds us. Besides, Molly and Arthur will make sure she's protected. That's why we named them her godparents after all." The Doctor reasoned. 

"Molly and Arthur have their own children to protect. We'll just be putting them in harm's way. Maybe this isn't a good idea." Carina said.

"It's better for Claire to stay here than to be directly in harm's way when we confront him. The Master doesn't know about Claire's godparents so they shouldn't be in danger. We have to think what's best for her, Carina." The Doctor replied.

Carina sighed exasperated. Her thoughts were torn between her child's safety and her selfishness of keeping her daughter with her; despite the fact she'd be putting her in danger. 

It seemed the world had been constantly turning against her the past week. Just several days ago, her two best friends, Lily and James Potter, were murdered by a power-hungry wizard named Voldemort. Their son Harry survived when the killing curse Voldemort casted upon him rebounded and destroyed the evil wizard. Harry was sent to live with Lily's awful sister Petunia who despised anything to do with the magical world. The night she found out Lily and James were murdered was when her other friend Remus Lupin showed up at her doorstep, telling her he'd been at the Potter's House and saw her brother Sirius Black storm away from the sight enraged. Carina couldn't process the fact that two of her best friends she considered a sister and a brother were dead. She remembered when Lily and her would dance to the newest Blondie or ABBA record in their dormitory at Hogwarts. She remembered when James let her and her brother live with him after their family disowned them for not following in their footsteps of discriminating a person's blood. Carina didn't want to believe they were gone, but they were and that would only be the beginning of bad news.

 Later that same evening, an Auror showed up at her house saying her brother was sentenced to life in Azkaban prison. He was arrested for the murder of twelve muggles and Peter Pettigrew and for given up the location of the Potter's home to Voldemort. She had a hard time believing that her brother would've betrayed the Potter's. James and him were as close as she and him were. Not to mention, she had never seen a Dark Mark on his arm. He would've died before he served Voldemort and backstabbed James and Lily. And there was no way he would've murdered twelve muggles and Peter. She was going to testify during his trial, but the Ministry refused to give him a trial saying there was enough evidence to sentence without one. Carina tried to fight this, but the Ministry said until she had sufficient proof he was innocent there would be no trial. Just when she thought her problems couldn't get any worse, her daughter's safety as well as her's and the Doctor's came into question. The Master, an alien (Time-Lord) like the Doctor, was after them and they had to defeat him before any of them were killed. 

"Are you sure there's no other way?" Carina asked, looking at her daughter's sleeping form in her arms.

"If there was I would tell you. The Weasley's are more than happy to take her in. She'll be in good hands. You've known Molly and Arthur for years. That's why they're her godparents for goodness sakes." The Doctor said.

Carina hesitated for a second before saying, "Alright, let's do this."

The couple approached a tall, different-shaped house that looked as though it would fall any moment. A sign near the front steps read the Burrow. Carina and the Doctor kissed their daughter's forehead before setting her on the doorstep. Carina looked at her soaking in every detail. It was hard for her to leave her daughter who had her nose, curly hair texture and facial features but her fathers eyes and hair color.  Carina took the locket around her neck and bent down next to her daughter. She placed the locket on top of her daughter's blanket. She then pulled out an envelope from her pocket placing it next to the locket explaining vaguely to Molly and Arthur why she left Claire with them. 

"Goodbye, Claire. One day we'll be together again. We'll be a normal family. I love you." Carina kissed Claire's forehead one last time. 

"Carina, we have to leave." The Doctor said, gently placing a hand on his wife's shoulder.

Carina stared at her daughter's sleeping face and tried to push away the guilt that fell upon her. She reluctantly stood up and followed the Doctor. As the couple walked away from the Burrow, they began to miss their child more and more, but they both knew deep down it was for the best. They reached a blue box with the words Police Public Call Box written at the top. As Carina and the Doctor walked in, they didn't speak to one another; both heartbroken over leaving their daughter. Carina let a few tears escape her eyes. She placed her hand where the locket use to hang around her neck; her memory of it came back. The locket contained a picture of Carina, the Doctor and Claire. Etched on the back were these words: Some Things Aren't Meant to be Easy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, this is my attempt of re-editing the series. I think this is a better first chapter than the previous one. It gives you a chance to see more emotion behind Carina and a bit from the Doctor. I took out the prophecy about the Master because it doesn't go with the new plot line. Anyway, I hope you liked it! Thanks for reading!

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or Doctor Who only what you don't recognize (backstories,  original characters/plots). I also do not own the songs. All rights go to their original artists.