Chapter 1

Reader POV

   "Fate weaves through the space between the present and future pulling them closer with each passing moment. Maybe our fates have been connected from the beginning and only now our paths have aligned. Or perhaps fate has different plans for us that are only now starting to come into play."

   "Wow, I didn't realise you were so philosophical Woo Tak," Yoo Na says trying not to break out into laughter. "If that is what's going on in your mind, you should study Philosophy, not Media." I feel a smile spread onto my face as my two best friends started what I call the last stage of a night out.

   It was the time of the night when everything just felt good, especially as the alcohol was firmly in everyone's systems. The world seemed to be consumed by a hazy glow as the remaining partygoers continued to sway to the much quieter music. I take another sip from the glass in my hand, allowing the golden waters to trickle down my throat as my mind tripped further away from reality. If the last stage is already here, I won't have much longer with my precious gold so I have to make the most of it.

   "What about you, Y/N, what do you think?" It's then that I  realise that I am probably drunker than I realise as I've missed the whole conversation. Yoo Na looks at me expectantly but then starts to laugh as she realises the situation. "I guess that means you're alone in that thinking," she manages to say in between laughs to Woo Tak. Looking towards him, although slightly blurred, I expect him to look hurt but instead he bursts out into laughter. I can't help but join in, even though it is unclear what is actually funny. At this moment in time, everything seems hilarious in a kind of abstract way.

   Woo Tak tries to talk as the laughter between the three of us grows louder, "Is it really that funny that I believe in fate and that the gods might play a role in human life?"

   "It's funny when you say it like that," Yoo Na replies.

   "When I say it like what?"

   "You know what I mean."

   "No, I don't. That's why I asked."

   "There you did it again!"

   "What? I just spoke normally."

   "Exactly! It's funny when you speak normally," Yoo Na points at Woo Tak before dissolving into a fit of laughter again.

   "It would be kind of nice if everything was decided by fate," I finally speak up and say. "If everything is predetermined then there's no point really trying at anything because if it's going to work out it will."

   "Well then maybe I should leave it up to fate as to whether I pass that test tomorrow as I can guarantee that with this hangover I will not be able to think straight," Yoo Na says and stands up, her face growing slightly more serious. "Although if I want to keep my scholarship, I should probably call it a night now." I had secretly hoped that the last stage hadn't arrived just yet but it seems some things are too good to be true. I wave at Yoo Na goodnight as she slightly stumbles out of the apartment. Normally I would be worried about her going off like that, but Sun Woo will likely be waiting outside to walk her home.

   With Yoo Na gone, I'm left with Woo Tak which is just great. I like him a lot when we're in a group, but it's quite awkward when it's only the two of us. The thing is, I don't really get a lot of what Woo Tak talks about most of the time whereas Yoo Na just does. I take another sip from my drink to try and cool my nerves but it seems my drink is abandoning me. As the slow prick of anxiety starts to edge around my body, I can feel the sweet high slowly drifting away on the wind.

   Woo Tak is just staring at me, pupils wide and with that goofy smile that only comes out after the sixth glass. Sighing, I decide to be the one to break the suffocating atmosphere. "So do you believe in soulmates too?"

   "Of course! I mean there are over seven billion people on the planet and it's kind of romantic to think that there's someone out there who's destined to be with you."

   "What about all those people who end up alone forever? Surely they prove that soulmates don't exist or at the very least, not everyone has one." I take the last remaining bottle and pour the remaining contents into my glass hoping to gain some more sanity, knowing the direction of this conversation.

   "Everyone has a soulmate but not everyone manages to find them."

   "If there are such things as soulmates, I hope mine turns up soon," I muse, taking a sip from the now refreshed glass. My dating experience hadn't been great in life so far so much that sometimes I forget that I've once been in a relationship. At least I still have my first kiss and if there is such a thing as soulmates, I hope mine would be with them.

   "Maybe you'll find that you've already met your soulmate and you just don't realise it yet."

   I throw my drink at Woo Tak who jumps up with a start.

   "Y/N/N! What the fuck was that for?"

   "If that was your attempt to ask me out again you've got another thing coming." I slam my empty glass on the table, my whole body humming with adrenaline.

  Woo Tak seems to forget his sudden burst of anger as a softness spreads across his face.  "You don't mean that Y/N. If anyone is destined to be together, it's the two of us," he says, slowly moving towards me, arm outstretched. I had hoped he hadn't reached this level of drunkenness again but his actions seem to suggest otherwise. I guess no matter how much I don't want to, I'll have to cut this night short.

  "I wasted good drink on you, Woo Tak, I think even as wasted as you are, you know my response." Quickly I grab my handbag and put my black faux leather jacket back on. "Go home and sober up before I do something you'll regret."

   I leave before he can try anything else, fighting back the urge to find some more drink to throw on him. Truthfully, I know I should tell Yoo Na that Woo Tak keeps trying to come onto me when he's drunk but I don't have the heart to tell her. He never tries anything like that the rest of the time but it seems he can't keep his crush on me a secret when he's that drunk.

   The cold bitter air bites at me as I pull my jacket closer to my body. The streetlights illuminating the path seems menacing and anything but safe. Why did I forget that if I left then I would have no one to walk home with? At least the effects of the beer have started to wear off so if I have to escape, at least my senses are slightly back. The thought makes me grip my phone tighter and I curse myself for letting my mind go there.

   My mind drifts back to the conversation about soulmates. Right now would be the perfect time to have a partner so I wouldn't have to be walking home all by myself. I'm still not entirely sure if I agree that there is such a thing as a soulmate but the thought that there's someone out there for me does ease the tension I'm feeling.

   I wonder what they look like.

   Everyone says that looks don't matter to them but I learnt never to do that again first hand. Would they be older than me? Younger? Would they have a sunny personality or when as dark as the depths of the ocean? Would their smile enlighten my own?

   The moon looks so beautiful tonight, I wonder if they're looking at it too.