Chapter 3

Reader POV

   As soon as I hear the rapid knocking at the door, I know that something must be wrong. People only knock loudly and in quick succession when it's urgent. I quickly open the door to my apartment, trying hard to conceal my surprise as the landlady waits for me. What could be so urgent that she knocked like that? As far as I'm aware, I'm an amazing tenant. Thankfully the landlady speaks before I spiral too hard, "Miss L/N, I'm just checking in on you as I didn't receive the rent for this month."

   That's strange, I thought my rent automatically transferred. When I checked last week I definitely had enough money to last the rest of the lease. "Let me just check," I say, quickly taking out my phone and checking my bank app. My heart sinks as I read a transaction that I definitely don't remember. Why would I withdraw all my money? "Can I pay it next month?"

   The landlady crosses her arms and stares at me with questioning eyes. "Next month?"

   No, this really can't be happening right now. I search my brain trying to think how I can get through this situation "From the looks of it, my bank account was hacked so if you could just give me until next month-"

   "You agreed that you would pay the rent monthly, that was part of the contract."

   By the look on her face, this really isn't going to be an easy thing to get out of. This time I try to act more 'cute', hoping that the charm works on women too, "I know it was but as I said, it looks like all my money is gone."

   The landlady shakes her head. "That's not my problem." What am I going to do? I suppose I could ask my parents for more money but that could make everything more complicated. They only just gave me enough to last this academic year so the thought of asking for more sends a shiver down my spine. "Look I'll be generous, I'll give you until the end of the week to find the rent money but if you don't you're out."

   I smile as the landlady gives me time but I can't help but feel a sinking feeling. "Thank you," I say through a fake smile before closing the door and sinking to the ground. A week? How the hell am I going to get enough money in a week? I allow the tears to flow down my cheeks as I quietly sob, concerned that the lady might still be outside and hear me. 

**********

   There's only one place to go when I feel this bad: the beach. Yoo Na showed it to me last summer and ever since I've been going there whenever I needed to feel better. The weather has definitely turned from last night; the padded jacket paired with my chunky red scarf is just enough to keep me warm. 

   I find a nice spot where I can look out to sea without the fear of getting sucked in by the tide. The beach is absolutely deserted; perhaps the rain forecasted is a reason. I look around once more before saying quietly, "God, can you hear me?" 

   It looks like storm clouds are gathering near the horizon. The last thing I need today is to get soaked through with rain too. This time I say in a louder voice, "I understand that everyone has to go through hardships in life but why do I have to go through one now? Why would you take away my money?"

   This time I can't help but shout the words, pushing my anger and frustration through them. "I don't even have a job because of prioritising university and all that money was supposed to help me for at least the rest of this year. Why would you take the money?" I wait for a reply or some kind of sign but there's nothing. "Can you hear me? The rent lady wants the money this week. Where am I going to get it? I don't have a job so how can I get all the money I need by the end of the week?"  

   There's only silence. "Of course you're not going to answer," I mutter, sinking my head into my hands. What was I expecting anyway? No one has ever answered me so why did I think it would be different this time?

   I sigh as I look back up at the rainclouds gathering even faster overhead. Reluctantly, I stand up to make my way back but then something catches my eye. It's a petal just floating on the wind. I walk towards it trying to catch it, intrigued by the piece of blossom at this time of year. However, I spot something glowing in the distance. I trudge towards it, a numbness sweeping through my body. 

   It's a campfire still alight. Seriously? If people are going to make campfires, the least they can do is extinguish them. I crouch down and blow out the flames.

    Staring at the blackened embers, I jump as I hear a voice. "Did you just summon me?"