Chapter 7

Reader POV 

The table in front of me is piled high with books that contain the word 'goblin'. I've been trying to do some research on what that man told me last time: that apparently I'm not the Goblin's Bride, whatever that is. Normally, I would write off what a stranger calls me but this is different. Whoever this man is who keeps appearing in front of me can't be human. I'm willing to believe him when he says he's not a ghost so now I have to work out what he is.

Looking at books like this hasn't helped so far. All the depictions of goblins are so far from what he's like. The closest is when I look at folklore, there are a few descriptions of goblins appearing like humans but the information is sparse. People are obviously more attracted to the depiction of ugly goblins in fairy tales than suave men that appear out of nowhere.

Even if that's a dead end, I think I know how I supposedly summoned him now. The first time we met was after I had wished for an answer from God so I thought it was to do with that but that wasn't true the second time. The only similarity is fire. Both times I've seen him has been after I've blown out a flame.

I haven't been brave enough to try out my theory. I think I'm scared of looking like an idiot if it doesn't work. It seems impossible, the whole thing. I'm trying to see if this guy I keep meeting is a mythical being. But what other option is there?

Deciding to try and find some new books, I leave to look around the bookshelves. I'm not sure where else to look but there has to be an answer somewhere. Maybe there's some other folklore books that I've missed.

"You?" I stop suddenly, spotting the familiar wavy brown hair that's constantly on my mind. Hearing my voice, he turns around, trying to act surprised when I'm certain he's not.

"Y/N?" He asks, trying to sound confused. "What am I doing here?"

"I didn't summon you this time!"

"Ha! So you admit that you did summon me the previous times we've met." His eyes have light up, triumphant that his assertion was correct.

I quickly look around, making sure that no-one could have been disturbed nearby from his loud expression. "I didn't know that I was summoning you so it doesn't count." I loudly whisper back. He raises his eyebrow, obviously not believing my truth. "That still doesn't explain how you're here."

"Can't I go to a library?" He replies, instantly averting his eyes to the nearest shelf. He brushes his fingers against each spine, whispering the titles in his quiet breath. It's like he's suddenly forgotten that I'm next to him. I'll admit, he looks quite handsome at this angle. If he was nearer my age, I might even pursue it but he's a mysterious stranger that is clearly not human. Those kinds of relationships never work out.

"So you're really only here because you want to use the library?" I ask sceptically.

"I'm going away for a little bit so I don't want you summoning me." Ha, I knew there was something more to this meeting than a coincidence.

"Where are you going?"

"That doesn't matter. What does is that I don't want you interrupting my business." He leaned forward, a spark trying to ignite in the space between us. Before anything could happen, he turns away, walking through the aisles of books.

I know I should stay away; I wasn't trying to see him but now that he's here, my curiosity is too great. To just leave him now would be too great of a waste of a perfect situation.

So I follow him, leaving the pile of books to come back to later. I will likely find out more about him if I see him in person. Luckily, I can spot him ahead, heading towards the back of the library. It's the place where all the old books that never get taken out are kept.