Chapter 5

Reader POV

It has been two days since I saw that strange man at the beach and I am still yet to get a job at a chicken restaurant. I should have known that it was too good to be true but I'm too desperate to hope for anything else. There are only five more days until my rent is due and the longer I wait, the less chance I have of succeeding.

I feel stupid, walking around calling into any chicken restaurants, hoping that there would be a job for me. I should never have listened to that stranger, he was obviously making it up to make me feel better. What would Yoo Na or Woo Tak say if I told them that a stranger had told me I would find a job at a chicken restaurant and that I actually believed them? They would definitely both laugh at me but I have to try. Somewhere there has to be a job for me.

The next chicken restaurant is the final one on my list for today. It looks a little more run-down than the previous ones I've visited but I hope that will increase my chances. The wind is kissing my cheeks as the last remaining auburn leaves swirl around my feet. Christmas will soon be here and the last thing I want is to spend it full of lectures from my parents about money management. How many more places do I need to try before I succeed? Maybe if I fail this one, I should take it as a sign.

A little bell rings as I enter. The place looks more deserted than I suspected; it looks like there's only one person who's eating here. I scan the small restaurant trying to look for a manager or at least someone who works here but no one is behind the counter. Great, so I just make myself an idiot for no reason. If there's no one here that runs the restaurant, then I certainly can't get a job here.

I'm about to leave the restaurant when I remember the customer. Well, it's not just anyone, she looks like a supermodel. If they are eating then they must have been served by someone, even if it's not the restaurant manager themselves. I go over to the customer who is eating radish and say, "excuse me, do you know when the manager will be back?"

The woman picks up another radish and studies it in her hand. "I wasn't aware that I was gone," she replies, finally putting the radish in her mouth, chewing it slowly.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't realise who you were," I hastily apologise to the woman I now realise is the manager. Seeing a manager should inflate me with hope but it deflates me further. If I had any chance at being hired, it has certainly disappeared now.

The woman looks up at me, her dreamy eyes pulling me in. "Do I seem too beautiful to be the manager here?"

"It's not like that at all. I just thought that someone who looks as beautiful as you was modelling the food right here," I try to explain myself, hoping that the manager wants me to compliment her beauty. I start to rub my hands, trying my hardest to work out what I'm supposed to do in this situation. Usually,  I introduce myself and they tell me that I'm not needed there and to try somewhere else. This is the first place that the dialogue has changed and I'm not sure what to do.

A small smile appears on the face of the manager. "Good save," she says standing up suddenly. Hastily, I move out of the way as she glides to a counter, placing her now empty bowl on top of it.

Taking it that now is the opportunity to attempt to gain back any chance I had of getting a job, I take a reassuring breath before saying, "My name is Y/N L/N. I am hardworking, reliable and able to accommodate all of your conditions." I can feel the heat building in the palms of my hand, my vision feeling strained. Why is it that I'm so anxious? Maybe it's because I know that this is my last chance to save myself from being kicked out onto the streets.

The manager turns to me, another cube of pickled radish held between her fingers. "You look young. Are you a student?"

"University," I reply which earns a wistful sigh from the manager.

Of course, I hadn't thought about the fact I'm a university student when I was thinking about getting a job. Nobody would be willing to hire me when three are sure to be people out there who don't have to study so hard. I feel so stupid now; hoping to find somewhere that would take me on.

I brace for the rejection I'm about to face, fighting the urge to run out the door. "I remember when I was at university," the manager says, taking me by surprise. "I was so beautiful and young." I stand unsure what to do as the manager eats the pickled radish she was holding. Is she expecting me to leave now before things get more awkward or am I supposed to compliment her once more?

This whole thing has gone worse than I imagined. Maybe it would be better to ask my parents for a little money instead of continuing to put myself through this humiliation.

I turn to leave the restaurant, fidgeting with my hands to try and resolve the awkwardness I feel. "Are you busy now?" I stop, turning back around at once to face the manager.

"Um, no, no I'm not," I say a little too enthusiastically.

Once again I expect the manager to tell me that I've lost the job but she continues to smile. "Then today is our day one." I mirror her face whilst the inside of me explodes. I'm saved from my problems. Finally, I have a way to get back the money I lost.

It seems that the mysterious man was correct. I wonder who he is but I imagine I'll never know. Whomever he was, I'm glad he helped even if it was just for motivation to keep going. I highly doubt he manipulated the universe just so I could get a job at a chicken restaurant. Regardless, I am happy that I trusted him and hopefully one day, I can relay my thanks in person.  

A/N Hey!! Yes, I finally updated this fic again. Honestly, it does take me a lot longer than other writers to update but that's because of how busy I am. I currently have 3 fics I'm focusing on but I have other writing projects behind the scene as well as education. It can be kind of crazy so I'm sorry if I'm not updating as much as you'd like. I truly am trying to get these out as soon as I finish them.

Also, the support has been crazy. Like, how has this already reached over 500 reads? Seriously, thank you so much and be sure to vote if you do like it. See you in the next update <3