9: Rescue Me

Momma got Peter suspended for what he did to Maddie, but she couldn't get him expelled. At this point, Maddie knew he'd been suspended multiple times and didn't view it as a punishment. He would only harass her again.

Maddie wasn't feeling little, but her heart was aching. She was fighting tears as she sat on the grass, doing her homework. She hadn't been getting to class often enough lately, and she was struggling with the answers.

"Mads?"

Keeley looked concerned.

"Where have you been lately?"

Maddie fidgeted nervously, not ready to share her regression with Keeley.
"Oh, uh... just dealing with family stuff and Peter."

It wasn't technically untrue. Her trauma was the reason for her regression.

The years of abuse at home. The harassment at school. The loss of the only person who had ever cared.

Maddie bit her lip to keep herself grounded. She could not regress in public.

Keeley frowned.
"Amelie and Peter are going around spreading rumours about you. Saying you're a bed-wetting baby who sucks her thumb."

As if on cue, Amelie approached, sucking a lollipop innocently.

"Hey little one. Where's your diaper?"

Maddie clenched her fists and glared at her, unable to form a response.

"I- I-"

Suddenly a group of popular guys were crowding around Maddie, using baby talk and holding up baby-ish items. As her breaths got shorter and more panicked, Maddie turned to Keeley for support. But she was gone.